Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally took the plunge and $180 later I ordered evyerthing I need to build my own midpipe and get rid of the factory y-pipe that splits back into duals (Flowmaster Kit). I don't know what the previous owner was thinking when they got this kit, but next friday I'll put my car up on a lift and start fitting and welding everything. Pics to come soon, and maybe a sound clip or two if I get enough sound clarity from my camera.

·
Registered
461 Posts
What are you going with an H or X style?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
for that price it better be a knock off prochamber
No just divorced duals to replace my y-pipe into y-pipe nonsense, technically the midpipe is only going to cost me $98 but then there's other $82 I spent on a tubing expander, a tubing cutter (to make sure the cuts are straight and easy to weld), a 2.25" tube welding clamp (again for easy welding), a pair of donut gaskets (to seal up the midpipe to the factory manifolds), and some high-temp spray paint (to keep the welds from rusting).

I'm very thorough when calculating the costs of mods so I don't run out of money in the middle of a project. My engine build lists include everything from solvent cleaner to oil filters, and break-in oil changes.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You could have bought an assembled midpipe for $10 more.
Not for a V6 that already has a V6 specific catback exhaust on it. If I had a GT catback then I would have bought a midpipe, but my optons were build a midpipe or buy a midpipe and catback.

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
Not for a V6 that already has a V6 specific catback exhaust on it. If I had a GT catback then I would have bought a midpipe, but my optons were build a midpipe or buy a midpipe and catback.
actually Jegs sells an h pipe kit where you have to fab it up....alot simpler and cheaper

as for buying all the tools needed...should of rented those from your local Advance...that way you get you money back when you're done :yes

honestly after re-reading all your posts i can't figure out what the hell you're trying to make...if you have y pipe dual exhaust a shop would of just cut off the y and welded in a fabbed up h pipe for around $50

·
Registered
461 Posts
what 6er said was much better than what I had.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
A shop can do wonders for that "v6 specific exhaust" with another v6 midpipe. Unless your doing all the work, but still.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know what shops are charging near you guys but in my area it's $80-$120 an hour plus, tax, shop fees, and the cost of materials so it's definately cheaper for me to build one, plus when I'm done I'll have some extra tools which are always useful and will help fill out my tool set ($4000 in tools/toolboxes and counting)

I really can't use a universal h-pipe because it not a straight shot from the rear of the cats to the front of the mufflers, at least two bends are needed without question and I got a third to cut sections from to match the angle of my pipes perfectly the inlet of the mufflers. Nothing is being forced into place or getting welded in crooked, in my opinion something either fits perfectly or it just doesn't fit at all.

If I wanted to use a universal kit I could but I'd need to buy two or three bends so that's an extra $45-$60 shipped.

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
I don't know what shops are charging near you guys but in my area it's $80-$120 an hour plus, tax, shop fees, and the cost of materials so it's definately cheaper for me to build one, plus when I'm done I'll have some extra tools which are always useful and will help fill out my tool set ($4000 in tools/toolboxes and counting)

I really can't use a universal h-pipe because it not a straight shot from the rear of the cats to the front of the mufflers, at least two bends are needed without question and I got a third to cut sections from to match the angle of my pipes perfectly the inlet of the mufflers. Nothing is being forced into place or getting welded in crooked, in my opinion something either fits perfectly or it just doesn't fit at all.

If I wanted to use a universal kit I could but I'd need to buy two or three bends so that's an extra $45-$60 shipped.
you can buy prebent exhaust tubing at any autoparts stores...at Advance we have them in any size up to 3" and its generally under $10 a piece. i guess we'll just have to wait till you actually make the mid pipe and post pics instead of just listening to your ideas of what you're doing. also feel free to post it in the "what i did thread" instead of making a whole new thread for pic of it :yes

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At the autoparts stores around me they only have press and crush bent tubing so I had to order mandrel bends from summitracing. When I was fixing the exhaust on my Probe I bought some straight tubing from Autozone, it was supposed to be aluminized but it was heavily rusted by the end of the week.

·
Registered
461 Posts
At the autoparts stores around me they only have press and crush bent tubing so I had to order mandrel bends from summitracing. When I was fixing the exhaust on my Probe I bought some straight tubing from Autozone, it was supposed to be aluminized but it was heavily rusted by the end of the week.
I colored the problem red for you. You'd be impressed at what they call something and what it really is. You'll pay a small amount more for it but Stainless Steel is the way to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts