Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An 08 buillitt will do 0-60 and 1/4 mile about 2 tenths faster than a stock 05-08 GT. What is the main factor? The 3.73 gears, the CAI/tune or a combination of both? Does the 3.73 give it 1 tenth and cai/tune the other tenth. Sorry if this has been posted before.

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
yes. My car with the same power package they are putting on the bullitt dynoed and 296rwhp, 316rwtq, ford is rating them at 319 but as you can see it is underated

Add the 3.73 gears, i thought the bullitt had 3.55s but you could be right, and there is the difference. And really those things should make it more of a time difference.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
The Bullitt also has a 6500 redline, some of the reviews I've read of recent owners have said that makes a difference in shift points on the 1/4 mile.

It's got a stiffer suspension than a GT (not as stiff as SGT) and apparently the tires help too. And that dash has gotta be good for at least 2/10ths a second. ; )

It's also got a tiny bit less weight - no spare tire.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never thought of the shift point.

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
do the bullits have the same cams as a GT....if so would they not have the same power band? what good would a higher redline do for it? maybee im confused.

·
Registered
347 Posts
the bullits do have the same cam. they just changed tune to raise the redline

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
so they arent done making power at 6250 ?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
February '08 issue of Mustang 5.0 dynoed the '08 Bullitt. Power peaked at 5,500rpm and tq peaked at 4,400 rpm. At 6,400 rpms the car was only making 10 less hp than peak, but almost 80 less tq than peak.

What they found on the strip in 1/4 mile testing was interesting. The extended redline meant they didn't need to shift into 4th. They posted a best run (the last run, number 9) of 13.48 at 101.79mph. I don't recall environmental variables other than temp being in the 90's.

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
okay...but is it just me or is that not a smart idea...to leave it in third out of its peak hp tq range...rather that power shift to 4th and go? i dunno im just rambleing...dont know why u would want to take your cams so far past its peak?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I've never drag raced, only power shifted on empty highways... but when you shift up to 4th your rpms drop way below peak output (down to 2k?) check it out next time you shift from near redline from 3rd to 4th. That time spent below peak output doesn't put out as much power as the time spent above peak output.

It's generally understood from the replies I've read on the subject, that if you don't have to shift, you're better off not shifting if time is your goal. An upshift kills time.

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
I've never drag raced, only power shifted on empty highways... but when you shift up to 4th your rpms drop way below peak output (down to 2k?) check it out next time you shift from near redline from 3rd to 4th. That time spent below peak output doesn't put out as much power as the time spent above peak output.

It's generally understood from the replies I've read on the subject, that if you don't have to shift, you're better off not shifting if time is your goal. An upshift kills time.

Get 4.10s. when i shift my rpms go from 6000 to 4000 right in the meat of my peak tq :cool:

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Argyblargy... damn transmission. I'd love to go out and check those shift points right now... if it wasn't ten feet off the ground with the transmission out of the car. Sniff, sniff. Nice video 07 Procharger, how on earth did you mount the camera?

And yeah, 4.10s are going in immediately after getting a CAI/tuner combo.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
The new 08 Bullitts also have a ECu allowing for higher octane. The spark ignition system allows for a higher octane in it. Some people actually think their cars will respond to a higher octane in a GT but it will not. The Bullitt is actually setup for higher octane and you will actually gain power from using it.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It seems like it is a combination of many factors, but not a single one i.e. intake, gears, advanced timing make a big difference.

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
The new 08 Bullitts also have a ECu allowing for higher octane. The spark ignition system allows for a higher octane in it. Some people actually think their cars will respond to a higher octane in a GT but it will not. The Bullitt is actually setup for higher octane and you will actually gain power from using it.

what does the ecu do ....advance the global spark to acomodate the higher octane?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts