Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What transmission fluid should I use if my TR3650 was rebuilt using bronze synchros? The previous owner had it built so I don't know any more specifics than that. I've come across some threads that talk about the Pennzoil Syncromesh etc but someone always mentions it has something to do with the carbon fiber synchros. Should I use something different since its got different material synchros?

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
I have a built Promotion 3650 and the recommend Dex/Merc atf

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
Not to thread jack but how do you like it?
So far I like it, it's a lil noisier than the stock one but they mention that before you order. But it drives like stock and it held up fine for the few 5k launches I threw at it last season. We'll see how it does after lots more launches next season as she's in hibernation now. They claim 700~ hp 7k rpms for a decent price of $1650

Do you know what material synchronizers they use?
I don't know for sure... I'll see if I can find the build sheet but I'm thinking they might be carbon. You might pm F8L as he's put together a few trannys

·
Registered
929 Posts
Synchromesh should be fine. I believe it says right on the bottle that its safe for yellow metals. The main thing is to stay away from the heavy GL gear oils that contain EP additives. Some of those additives can attack soft metals. I would use Synchromesh or Redline Synthetic MTL.

·
No longer Maching out...
3,368 Posts
I used the Penzoil Syncromesh in mine, it seems to be fine

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not even sure where to get pennzoil syncromesh. Looking at autozone and oreilly's websites - it doesn't look like they carry it.

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Screw it. Pennzoil transmission fluid doesn't exist anywhere around me. I'm just going to go with Castrol Mercon V. Someone give me a heads up if this is going to end up messing up my transmission.

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
Check Pep Boys, Ive found hard to find fluids and other odd things there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts