Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, some of you might remember my ON3 turbo install last year (http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/projects/362138-01-bullitt-on3-install.html). Well I've been wanting some more power and I'm about ready to start the project so figured I'd make a thread to document it.

I picked up a built shortblock to start.
Forged stroker motor
-ARP Main Studs
-ARP 2000 Rod Bolts
-ARP Side Bolts
-Forged Kellog Stroker Crank (3.75")
-Forged Manley H Beams
-Forged Manley Platinum Series Pistons(-23cc Dish)
-Manley Steel Rings
-ARP Pro Series Headstuds.
-Balanced Rotating assembly
-Clevite bearings throughout the motor.
-Block was bored .020 to 3.572
-MMR oil pan
-Melling oil pump

After UPS delivering my package to the wrong address, I received my parts 3 days after UPS said it was delivered.

Got trickflow track heat 44cc heads, MMR stage 3 turbo cams, all my timing components, lifters, rockers, and head gaskets.

The heads are dead sexy....

There are still alot of odds and ends I need, but I'm planning on getting the heads installed this week.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the longer stroke, I should be close to ~9.5:1. Also zero decked. Although to be honest, I bought the shot block off a guy who didn't finish his build. So I didn't pick the pistons.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So today I installed the cams and heads....

When I went to install the timing stuff I hit a snag. The block is a romeo block from a 97 and it uses the old style chain guides. The timing kit I got has the new guides on it.

So I either need to get a longer oil pump bolt to use the new style guide or order the old style guide. Not sure which direction I'm gonna go yet....

this is how she sits at the end of the day.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
personally i would use the new guides, there have been improvements over the years and they are stronger and have better wear characteristics. what assembly lube are you using? it looks like it is redline, if it is i would be a little more generous with it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stal, thanks for the heads up on the guides. I wasn't aware there was a difference other than mounting. As for the lube, its the clevite bearing guard that cam with the trick flows. So if I use the newer guides do I just pull the roll pins that the old style guides mount on?

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
i typed it wrong, you want to use the steel backed chain guide off the older style motors, they don't deflect/break like the plastic ones. i looks like you are using the trick flow guides which the arm that is hooked to the Tensioner is fine, just the back guide should be changed out for the steel one which is a direct bolt on for that 97 block.

OEM Ford 4.6L Steel Backed Straight Timing Chain Guides

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm, I'll have to look into it. The set I'm using now is actually the OEM ford kit from MMR. They just didn't ask to specify what year and I didn't realize they were different.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
i guess mmr now sells trickflow guides cause those are exactly what i got when i built my motor. the link that i posted from modular head shop is the steel backed guides for 94-98 blocks. they should bolt right up, and with the newer metal upper Tensioner arm you will be set with the top of the line Tensioner arms

·
SleeperStang
3,924 Posts
Hmm, I'll have to look into it. The set I'm using now is actually the OEM ford kit from MMR. They just didn't ask to specify what year and I didn't realize they were different.

I ordered the same kit from mmr when i did my head cam swap. I couldn't get it to work either and ended up ordering oem from ford, they are actually different.

·
SleeperStang
3,924 Posts
From mmr or ford? I ordered the whole timing kit from mmr but hard to order another set of rails from ford.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From mmr or ford? I ordered the whole timing kit from mmr but hard to order another set of rails from ford.
Yea I meant from ford. Did you use the arms from MMR and just get the 2 guides from ford? Also looking for a oil filter adapter for this motor. Ford brings up p/n
YR3Z-6881-BA. Should fit 96-98 and 01-04 Romeo. Let me know if anyone has one.

·
SleeperStang
3,924 Posts
Yea I meant from ford. Did you use the arms from MMR and just get the 2 guides from ford? Also looking for a oil filter adapter for this motor. Ford brings up p/n
YR3Z-6881-BA. Should fit 96-98 and 01-04 Romeo. Let me know if anyone has one.
Yes

·
SleeperStang
3,924 Posts
Hopefully they don't give you the ones you already have! Idk if I got lucky or not.

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 PM ----------

If it helps I either asked for ones for a 98 gt or an 04.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So today I received the valve covers I ordered off a dude on corral. I'm slightly annoyed, it looks like he might have tried to pry one of the baffles out and broke it in two spots. I wouldn't care too much, but now it feels kinda loose. Plus the fact he didn't mention it was messed up pisses me off.

I might have to add some kind of adhesive to it to ensure it doesn't end up breaking off at some point..... thoughts?

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
JB weld maybe? :dunno you could always go to a junkyard and pull a different set of covers for cheap.

1 - 20 of 219 Posts