Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys replaced your CAI and had a custom tune? What were the hp gains over the stock set up? Have a friend with a '10. He is thinking of swapping out the CAI and getting a 93 tune.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The 08/09 Bullitt CAI & hood interior are specific to the Bullitt as far as being designed by Ford Racing to work together to maximize air flow. Changing the CAI would require a tune as you mention but I don't think a Bullitt would do better by just changing the CAI, in fact it would probably loose. An aftermarket system would not work with the benefits of the hood design. Ford really put a lot of thought into the CAI.

·
All sissies going to Hell!
5,818 Posts
Replacing the cai, with the airaid did me just fine and I have gained power......so do it up. There is nothing wrong with changing it and tuning it.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
The 08/09 Bullitt CAI & hood interior are specific to the Bullitt as far as being designed by Ford Racing to work together to maximize air flow. Changing the CAI would require a tune as you mention but I don't think a Bullitt would do better by just changing the CAI, in fact it would probably loose. An aftermarket system would not work with the benefits of the hood design. Ford really put a lot of thought into the CAI.

Ford's tuning is pretty conservative though, 05-09, Bullitt, 2010 -- they're all going to leave a lot on the table in terms of performance because Ford has to make all their cars run the same for *all* locations and variances. Get your car tuned locally or get a good mail order tune and it'll be more specific to your engine and location (altitude) and can run closer to the limits on performance.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I've been pondering the same thing with my 2010. I just recently saw that bamachips has a cai tuner combo specifically for the 2010 gt that maintains the cai features from the 2010 and the little noise intake tube (whatever that thing is called) .

2010 C&L Cold air intake only - $349.00 : Bamachips, The Mustang Tuning Source

it's on my wishlist
That link you posted is just the CAI, fyi. If you want it tuned, you'll need a handheld tuner and tunes as well...

·
Registered
217 Posts
That link you posted is just the CAI, fyi. If you want it tuned, you'll need a handheld tuner and tunes as well...
yeah, i kinda figured people could connect the dots , bamachips=tuner= you can get it tuned too.

anyways here's another tuner outfit with a 2010 cai i just stumbled across

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
yeah, i kinda figured people could connect the dots , bamachips=tuner= you can get it tuned too.

anyways here's another tuner outfit with a 2010 cai i just stumbled across

You'd be surprised how many people get on this forum and don't know what a tuner does.

FYI, CAIs from 05-09's should work on the 2010, seeing as how it's the same exact engine and all... difference being in the tune.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check out the 2010 Steeda CAI. Much different than the 05-09.
The system will tie into the factory air routing system which is a very good system from the factory. It has good surface area so it is not restricting and provides the coolest air feed.

**STEEDA 2010 GT STEEDA COLD AIR TEASER*** - The Mustang Source

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yeah I stumbled around in the front bumper area when I was taking out my fog lights, there is a little duct right there in the front that feeds into the cai. Its a pretty kewl design and the c&l intake that bamachips was selling maintains that little "ram-air duct" or what ever its called.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Tune A Must Do

Have any of you guys replaced your CAI and had a custom tune?
A few months ago I had my tranny rebuilt for 2nd to 3rd high rev shifts locking up on me. (TSB 09-9-6)
Update: Back From The Dealer Today - IMBOC
Warranty covered it all and now it's fine. But the point is, to be on the safe side I downloaded the stock tune back in just before driving to the dealership. The difference in performance was so dramatic I clearly remember thinking to myself, should I run up against a GT on the way that I would wave him off so I wouldn't have a poor showing.
The car felt that much slower with the stock tune back in!
Yeah....get a tune. Ford left alot on the table. I'm happy with the Brenspeed 93 Performance tune. Throttle response is improved 100% and the extra "seat-of-the-pants" kick in climbing thru the gears was worth every single penny. The best $379.00 I've ever spent. Their support is top shelf too!
Here's a link if interested...
Custom Tuned SCT X3 Programmer

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
^+1

My BamaChips 93 race tune just woke my car up. It feels so much faster now, and the way the transmission shifts is wayyyy better than stock.

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
for 2010's you probably won't see the same gains as the 05-09s, regardless of tune. i believe there was an article in MM&FF where they added some bolt-ons and a JLT CAI (w/tune btw) on a 2010. i think they only netted about 5 hp from the CAI and tune, but that CAI was designed for the 05-09s. the factory CAI is pretty nice for the 2010s from what i understand. if i were you, i'd wait for JLT's 101mm CAI which should be out sometime soon (still waiting myself). that one should give some respectable gains.

edit: the 101mm JLT is out! lol. JLT Carbon Fiber CAI (2010 Mustang GT) Computer Tuning Required [CFCAI-FMG-10] - $399.00 : JLT PERFORMANCE SHOP, Welcome to JLT performance

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
I believe in tuning, not just for new mods, but for everything. Like previously mentioned the factory leaves so much on the table that it is almost a crime.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts