Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i took my license plate off my front bumper on my 88gt and i want to fill in the holes and repaint it. but i also hit a snow bank this winter and the paint flaked off big time with stress cracks running everywhere.

so i need to know how to fill in the holes left by the plate and how to strip all the paint off the bumper cover. anyone know the right way to do this? thanks a bunch

·
Registered
19 Posts
your gonna strip the paint off use some heavy grit sandpaper on the spots you want to fill in to create a rough surface for the filler to stick and fill in your holes with fiberglass body filler sand them down with the thinnest grit sandpaper you can get you want that whole bumper smooth as a babys ass before you wanna paint., clean that bumper making sure there is nothing on it. When your ready to paint you need a special hardener for fiberglass or plastic you know that needs mixed in when your mixing your paint if you dont use that because the plastic flexes it will cause those stress cracks you see, the special hardener will let the paint flex with the bumper. Your local auto paint shop where you get your paint mixed at will know what your looking for. Take your time when painting just mist the paint on between each coat you wanna wait about 5-10 mins enough time to smoke a cig then hit it again. The hardest part to me is the clear coat it runs like a son of biatch so take your time or you'll be stripping that paint off and starting all over again n o one like to look at a fish-eyed sunkist orange paint paint job. Good luck

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so can i use paint stripper on the urathane? or will that mess with it?

thanks for the reply btw

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wouldn't use stipper it is for metal like tubs, and steel, things that wont deform. Just get out your bucket fill it with water and wet sand it the old fashion way just to be safe my man (unless your sanding the whole car down then get yourself an air compressor and a sander). Pick yourself up some wet/dry sandpaper from the hardware store start with a heavy grit so its a little easier on the elbow and work your way up to a thinner grit so it leave no rough edges obviously after youve made the hole repairs in your bumper. I believe the grits measurements are 80 to start with then you go to 140 and finish with 200 but dont quote me I did my body kit and new front bumper prolly 2 years ago.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool cool thanks man. yeah ive got the compressor and a d/a sander but i dont know how much that will help on the curves of the bumper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts