Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question for you guys.

I have a 95 cobra that I recently blew the transmission up in. I ate the gears off the input shaft. I did a decent amount of burnouts and I was curious if the upgraded brake system on these cars could put to much strain on the input shaft and be partly the cause of why I blew the transmission. I've already replaced it, I just don't know if I am safe doing burnouts without hurting this transmission. It would be nice if I could still heat the tires up for a race. I plan on getting line-loc when I get the chance but until then I would like to know if I should just not do burnouts or what?

·
Premium Member
8,732 Posts
Burnouts are notoriously bad for your car. Its not nearly as bad on a prepped surface like a drag strip being hosed...... but otherwise yes its a tremendous amount of stress in the car.

...I still do them... but nothing more than 2-4 seconds and very rarely.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Usually when you eat the gears off of the input shaft you have had a lack of oil!

Get a line lock & don't worry about it!

·
Super Moderator
13,580 Posts
For the amount of burnouts your doing you definatley meed a line lock, however your putting strain on your entire drivetrain doing burnouts to include brakes as well.

·
Watch n learn
876 Posts
^Agreed, you didn't help it live, but I doubt you caused its death. Clutch-dropping is harder on an input shaft than doing burnouts.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
:facepalm: ^ get a line lock

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, thanks for all the answers. I know I need a line-loc and I plan on getting just wanted to get an idea if my tranny will be safe till I do get one.

I've done burnouts alot in foxbody's but with drum rears, it didn't ever seem to hurt it. I figured with the cobra brakes it coulda put a little extra strain on the trans.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts