Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Blood, Sweat and Gears...
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
It's been a long time and I am kind of embarrassed to ask this. I have a new car with a manual trany, and I want to do a burnout, when the summer comes. How do I go about it without breaking something?
I was thinking of doing about a 3000 rpm and then dumping of the clutch?
And If I race someone what rpm do I rev the engine at?
:cool:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well, the best way I have found to do burnouts (ones that last more then 1-2 seconds) is rev to about 3000, dump the clutch and then press your brakes.

As for racing, I found launching at around 2,000 RPM is just about perfect.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Or you can buy a line lock kit for the car, like this: SLP Brake-Control Package (99-04 GT)

It's a device that locks the front brakes. It works by electronically holding a valve closed on the front brakes.

You step on the brake pedal, throw a switch, which operates the valve on the front brakes, keeping pressure in them, and then when you release the brake pedal, the front brakes are still engaged, but the rear brakes are now free. You can then do your burn out. When it's time to go, you flip the switch, the front brakes release, and off you go. :)

Note that the kit I posted up there is an example, and is for the 99-04 Mustang, and I had just posted this for a guy asking the same question in that section. American Muscle doesn't have the kit for the 07+ cars, but you can find the SLP kit or a Granatelli kit from our vendors here in the vendors section of the forum.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
rev the engine around 3-4k rpms, dump the clutch, hit the brakes while your still giving it gas. Now don't floor the gas pedal. You'll wanna keep it around 4-4.5k rpms. This should give you a nice lil burn out. Just make sure you have enough tread....lol hope this helps

·
Registered
1,314 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you do a line lock kit make sure you use a dual solenoid system. Many of the kits are single solenoid and they can damage the ABS system. Not sure if this is OK to say here, but there is a great write-up on StangNet to install the PMP kit. I am not a mechanic by any means but I was able to do the install by myself with those instructions. If you are doing a lot of burnouts this will save you from wearing your rear brakes out by using the method described above.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm probably stating the obvious, but I imagine the stock clutch won't last long under that kind of punishment, right?

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Your not slipping the clutch, so done properly your not killing mass life of the clutch. There is wear but not like one would think.

Your also not doing burnouts every single day. The occasional rubber layer can do so on a stock clutch for quite some time..

The technique is key.. is what I really mean to say.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
hahaha i blew out my factory control arm bushings doing burnouts...thanks god they're easy to replace..

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
Your not slipping the clutch, so done properly your not killing mass life of the clutch. There is wear but not like one would think.

Your also not doing burnouts every single day. The occasional rubber layer can do so on a stock clutch for quite some time..

The technique is key.. is what I really mean to say.

Yea yea. I got 57,000 on my clutch. but i dont do real burnouts. ill dump the clutch at 3 to 4 grand every once and a while and bang second, smoked them all the way through second before. but i dont hold the brakes.

P.S dont forget to turn the tcs off.

·
Registered
283 Posts
launch at 2k? i bog down at that low rpm :(
mebe cuz i have 3:55s

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
i can launch at 3000 with these 235/55's w/ crap 3.31's!! i dont go anywhere! why did ford put 3.31's in a manual gt....

·
Registered
535 Posts
Caution; burnouts are habit forming. It's harder on your tires than anything else and make sure the cops aren't around, the love to bust you for that kind of driving.

·
MMs Ford Racing Nut Swinger
4,370 Posts
Or you can buy a line lock kit for the car, like this: SLP Brake-Control Package (99-04 GT)

It's a device that locks the front brakes. It works by electronically holding a valve closed on the front brakes.

You step on the brake pedal, throw a switch, which operates the valve on the front brakes, keeping pressure in them, and then when you release the brake pedal, the front brakes are still engaged, but the rear brakes are now free. You can then do your burn out. When it's time to go, you flip the switch, the front brakes release, and off you go. :)

Note that the kit I posted up there is an example, and is for the 99-04 Mustang, and I had just posted this for a guy asking the same question in that section. American Muscle doesn't have the kit for the 07+ cars, but you can find the SLP kit or a Granatelli kit from our vendors here in the vendors section of the forum.
BRENSPEED HAS THEM FOR THE 05+ STANGS 139.00 I THINK:yes

·
Registered
133 Posts
occassionally i will pull away from a light and run first gear up past the normal shift point and then hammer the gas, that makes a decent attention getter, as long as the attention is not blue lights and a siren.

·
MMs Ford Racing Nut Swinger
4,370 Posts
07-08 Mustang GT Line Lock Roll Control

Ready for a smokey burn out? You have been asking for it so here they are....The SLP line lock roll control system. These are direct bolt kits that include instructions.
$139.95

THESE ARE THE ONES ON BRENSPEEDS WEBSITE I WAS REFERING TO.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
If you do a line lock kit make sure you use a dual solenoid system. Many of the kits are single solenoid and they can damage the ABS system. Not sure if this is OK to say here, but there is a great write-up on StangNet to install the PMP kit. I am not a mechanic by any means but I was able to do the install by myself with those instructions. If you are doing a lot of burnouts this will save you from wearing your rear brakes out by using the method described above.
07-08 Mustang GT Line Lock Roll Control

Ready for a smokey burn out? You have been asking for it so here they are....The SLP line lock roll control system. These are direct bolt kits that include instructions.
$139.95

THESE ARE THE ONES ON BRENSPEEDS WEBSITE I WAS REFERING TO.
Cool, yeah just saw that. I wonder if there is any substance to what Mikey posted up there, though? And if so I wonder what it is with the single solenoid system that is bad for the ABS.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts