Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
doesnt have motor or transmission- gonna be a project lol. can anyone steer me in a good direction for motors? it has a tubular k member, not sure how that effects anything. but what would be a cheap fix here? maybe a junkyard 302 and throw some after market heads on it?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
this car is a automatic, I want to swap with a manual. it had a carbed 351 in it, which I would not mind doing. As far as mustang 302 swaps whats compatible? will a 90-93 engine work?

·
Registered
39 Posts
well what do you want to do with the car? Race it? Daily driver? show?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want a daily driver/ weekend driver, 300-400 HP. simple and easy to fix/ work on. carbed 351 or 302. no computer, nothin to expensive or too fancy.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Get yourself a used but in working order 302. Tear it down and clean it all up. Buy new bearings and seals. Have the heads freshened up. slap it all back together and throw a Holley on top. This way it's cheap and since you rebuilt the engine that's one less thing to worry about.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
im gonna put a 351 in it, no doubt about it. Ill probably pick one up out of a pickup would be easiest find, I wana go carbed, but still want my guages to work and whatnot, I need to know what wires to keep n what ones I don't need. if someone can link thread with pictures and details that would be helpfull.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
also came some one link me to a cheap carb set up that will bolt on or what are my options here? im not doing EFI and I don't care to hear any efi vs carb arguements. On summit they have a manifold for ~$200. im also curious if i can get a carb setup off a older 351?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I hope you don't have any emissions testing or inspection because they will send you to thee referee and we all hate the referee
older motor in new car is no bueno to the hippies

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea, my 01 lightning wasnt emmisions friendly either. I think pre 1994 they arent as strict? idk i'll find a shady shop to inspect it lol. got the motor, tore it apart, looks good, was kinda seized at first, but its been sitting for a while. should I re-ring it? 351 80k on it. cyl looks smooth. heads will prolly need valve job.. any suggestions on a cheap head upgrade? also what do i need to buy for the front of the motor (brakets alternator pumps etc)

·
Registered
39 Posts
gotta love the $200 smog job...o and a 6 pack of beer :cool:

If i had it all apart id go new bearings and new rings while its all apart. It's just one less thing to go wrong and if it does you know who to blame.
And for brackets and accesories my stock 95 has altenator, smog pump, a/c , and P/s I believe each on its own bracket

·
Registered
39 Posts
power is hard to tell it all depends what carb intake cam header ect ect
what did the motor come out of? that could tell you the stock hp and torque levels if you can throw the heads on a flow bench and get the cfm numbers then pick a cam that matches the lift at which max flow occurs.

as far as headers any 94-95 set should work
or you can run stocks either will fit

1 - 15 of 15 Posts