Modded Mustang Forums banner

Buying a Teksid block. What should I know before I buy?

61K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Mrnono 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm looking to build a forged short block. A buddy has a Teksid block to sell me as a foundation.

My questions are:

1. - How do I know it is a Teksid?

2. - What should I look at visually in general when buying a used engine block? (Obviously, there shouldn't be holes in the side of the cylinders) I'm looking for more tricks of the trade when looking at a used block so I don't end up with something an expert could tell is bad from across the street. lol

3. - Pros and cons of an aluminum block? How much lighter are they than cast iron?

Thanks in advance guys! :D

#3 ·
actually if you get the 96-98 cobra teksid block, torn down, it weighs 80.40lbs last time i checked.

also get a cobra block if you can, there are a few differences between the cobra and the mark viii motor or whatever it is. the cobra being preferable obviously

#4 ·
The short block was different because the Cobra had a forged crank where the Lincoln didn't. A Teksid 4.6 is a Teksid 4.6 form the research I have done.

Some Cobra's had them all Lincoln Mark VIII's had them.

#5 ·
Make sure it isnt a FWD block, The teksid block will be aliminum, but not have the extra webbing like the WAP block. You should google image them both. The WAP block is the newer of the two, alluminum and has extra webbing, but is thinner and can only support 600 hp, while the teksid can go 900+

#6 ·
An easy way to identify a teksid is to look in the valley. If the cross-hatching is made up of squares it's a teksid. If the cross-hatching is made up of diamonds it's a WAP. Check out the pic on this page that compares the two.
4.6 Liter Ford Engine Cylinder Blocks

#10 ·
I've never heard of them being different by the blocks. from what i would say a teksid is a teksid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.