Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Punching Throats
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this would have been done in about 3 hours if I could have gotten the strut tower nut off the driver side

So before I go to the Ford Dealership and ask them what magical tools they use to get this sucker off I figured I would post it here and let yall thrash me for being retarded and get some good insight

I had 2 people over 200lbs each putting all their weight on top of a cheater bar where you would stick a screw driver and then another big ass dude pulling in the opposite direction on the wrench and still no luck. I tried everything from a huge flat head with a wrench around the base of the handle to the pneumatic drill which just spun the whole strut with no prevail. This was also soaked in Pro lube, WD40, and any other rust degrading liquid the entire time we attempted to get this off.

Tell me what I need to do because I feel like a complete dumb ass. I followed every step down to the letter on the instructions and still no bueno.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Is the bolt moving at all? I'm betting the top of the strut shaft is mushroomed and preventing the bolt from coming off. You can try cutting the top section of the shaft off and grabbing it from the underside of the strut tower with the biggest vice grips possible. You may end up needing new front struts though if you aren't already putting them on...

·
Punching Throats
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am still trying to use the same struts. I have new rims and tires coming tuesday and I just want the alignment done. They said it was going to be an extra $60 bucks to get an alignment with a lowered car like mine so I got the plates to put on for future alignments and this **** happens.

·
I smell like beef
5,580 Posts
Soak overnight in pb blaster or hit it with some heat. It looks kinda rusted on there.

·
Registered
981 Posts
use a long thick screwdriver, i used on that was about 2 feet long. Now used your wrench on the bolt, and use the screw driver. lay the screw driver flat and undo to nut like it is a pinch nut.. this is how i did it once a

·
Registered
981 Posts
Are you using new shocks or reusing the factory stuff? if you have new shock and struts, then use a saws all. just start cutting under the factory nut for the strut

·
Punching Throats
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I have to reuse my struts other wise I would have just cut the top of the strut off. I aint that dumb :) Just exhausted every option possible besides getting it cut off which I dont want to do.

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
dont feel bad, when i did mine one side came off easily and the other was like yours

since i was replcing everything i just took a recip saw and cut it right off

sorry im not sure what your best method would be here

·
gtscrewd
5,228 Posts
get a 250 pound guy and some heat mabey even some vise grips and a pipe

·
Registered
981 Posts
just see if you can try to do this. lay the screw driver down like a pry bar and put it into the grove of the strut and see if it can keep it still while you move the wrench to loosen the nut on the strut.

·
Punching Throats
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
get a 250 pound guy and some heat mabey even some vise grips and a pipe
I already did this....lol 2 dudes 3 times my size both sitting on the cheater bar and the wrench and pulling in opposite directions in the right direction.

·
Banned
1,232 Posts
use an impact gun.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
We used a impact and tapped the trigger, meaning push it and let off then repeat, this will nudge it lose, along with some pb blaster

·
Punching Throats
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry, the nut wont budge. The only option I have is to cut the nut, try and repair the threads at the top of the strut or just spend the extra for a special alignment next week and replace struts and C/C plates later down the road. We tried tightening it, loosing it. Both ways will not budge, with pneumatic drill, WD40/Pro-Lube, or anything else we could think of.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I went through hell to get mine off my gt. I soaked it in wd40 for a whole day. I weight 135 stand 6'1 and with a wrench and flat screw driver I got it loose. I also hammered it a bit just in case it was stuck. hope this helps.

·
Registered
981 Posts
if you cant get it off, you have 2 options.

1 take it to the alignment shop have them install the cc plates and align your car.... if they will install them.
2 order some tokico blue struts for now then cut off the strut, and install the cc plates and then take it up there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts