Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at changing some stuff on my car as far as the intake and possibly exhaust and I am trying to find the difference in the c heads and ford gt heads as far as intake ports and exhaust ports and how the bolt holes line up etc. No one I know has either of these heads just laying around. lol. I have tried to find pics but I can't find anything that helps. I am mainly wanting to see the difference in sizes/shapes of the ports and locations of bolt holes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Doubt you will find anyone with the GT heads just laying around.... I would say that they will bolt up but getting ahold of them is generally not worth the hassle seeing as how they are decently "rare".... You can get the GT motor and trans off of x2builders.com for $35,000 with only 4,4xx miles...... Good luck hope someone else chimes in with some info

·
Registered
234 Posts
Well i have a set of b heads, 03 cobra heads, and fr500 heads at home now. I do not have a set of gt500 heads unfortunately. My question is what intake do you plain to use along with what cams. from your garage your running 2v so i take it your wanting to do a 4v swap?
Im gonna be running the fr500 heads and intake combo with shm custom cams.

The thing about running the ford gt/gt500/cobra r heads is finding a intake for them and fitment under the stock hood(correct me if im wrong someone)

According to my performance book by SHM, the 03 cobra heads which is a 52cc with a intake port of 170cc flows 233cfm [email protected] lift and 169cfm exhaust [email protected] lift and the fr500 which is a 53cc and 160cc intake port flow 228cfm [email protected] lift and 162cfm on the exhaust [email protected] lift. But the fr500 has better power across the rpm range. NA svt will chime in a confirm or deny the last. He has hands on with all of the above.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
GT heads are not a good option for a 4.6.

C intakes will not work on GT heads. The only intake that fits GT heads on a 4.6 block is the FR500C.

Here's a comparison of the GT and C head intake gaskets;

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Todd, I have spoken to you a few times about doing the boss 5.0 intake on my motor. I have a 5.4 4v from a gt500. I was just trying to get a good visual of the port sizes and specs to decide if I wanted to try and machine an adapter to fit. I have realized that my current power goals should be pretty attainable with the intake I have now i will just lack some low end. I may end up waiting until I build the motor further and just have some material welded on the heads. I was just concerned with the heads heating up and causing any warping or sealing issues...

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Todd, I have spoken to you a few times about doing the boss 5.0 intake on my motor. I have a 5.4 4v from a gt500. I was just trying to get a good visual of the port sizes and specs to decide if I wanted to try and machine an adapter to fit. I have realized that my current power goals should be pretty attainable with the intake I have now i will just lack some low end. I may end up waiting until I build the motor further and just have some material welded on the heads. I was just concerned with the heads heating up and causing any warping or sealing issues...
Adapters will throw off the alignment. Also, there will be no warping because it doesn't get nearly hot enough.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Adapters will throw off the alignment. Also, there will be no warping because it doesn't get nearly hot enough.
Yeah, i will probably end up doing the welding thing when i tear the motor down. But that is a good ways down the road.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Todd, would you happen to have a comparison pic of the exhaust ports on the b heads, c heads, navigator heads, and ford gt heads? I am trying to find exhaust manifold flanges that will fit my gt heads so I can fabricate some turbo headers. Just wasnt sure if the majority of the 4v heads had the same exhaust ports

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The exhaust ports are similar in size to to the 03/04 heads but the bolts are in a different location. With that, any 4v flange will work but the bolt holes will have to be relocated. I had some pics of some 96-98 turbo headers that were modded to fit GT heads but can't find it. It's as simple as elongating the holes. The flanges below will work:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-4-6-28...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c5fbe81d9&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-COBRA-...pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item45fc93bb14&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Doubt you will find anyone with the GT heads just laying around.... I would say that they will bolt up but getting ahold of them is generally not worth the hassle seeing as how they are decently "rare".... You can get the GT motor and trans off of x2builders.com for $35,000 with only 4,4xx miles...... Good luck hope someone else chimes in with some info
GT heads are readily available and not that expensive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts