Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
79 cobra
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at converting my car from the stock t-5 to a C4. My question is What year C4 would be good for me. I have the chance to buy a case fill out of a 66 mustang. I talked to a guy and he said this was not a good year for the C4. Is there another year thats better?

My car is a 79 mustang and it has a 302 roller with hypertectic pistons, GT40P heads that are modded, victor JR. intake and 750 CFM carb. It has an 8.8 with 4.10 gears in the back. The car is mostly driven around town and on the track 2 times a month.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
The case fill C4's seem to be the best. The 70 & up has a better vavle body selection. Either way, I'd try and find a 157t small bell housing for better header clearance & converter selection.

·
79 cobra
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, do you know what the difference between the valve bodies are? and also i have long tube headers so will that be a problem? and where would be the best place to find a 157 tooth bell housing?

thanks again

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
if it came out of a 66 I don't believe it is going to be a case fill.

anything 70 and older is a 24 spline input shaft and diameter is smaller. I would look for a later year.

I have few 157 tooth bells, but they are easy to come by on craigslist.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Horsepowerjunkie, what's a good price to pick up a c4 for not knowing condition? Also, about's how much does it cost to build one with decent stuff? Trying to decide what direction I'm going to take when I break this T5. I haven't researched them, so I don't know what's good or not.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
What I did was buy a used PA Super Comp C4 off of Corral. I paid $1200, that included a SFI Bellhousing. The trans was fresh when I bought & I had my trans guy pull it apart & confirm it was what the seller said. It was! If you have a local trans builder do one, you will have that much into a stock C4.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Gotcha. The only benefit that I have is that my brother in law is my trans guy, so that's free labor. What little searching on what's out there that I've done has been on PA's website. Not ready to take the leap yet, but any knowledge before I do is appreciated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts