Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anyone could help. Im looking for a CAI for my 2001 mustang V6. Looking for opinions on what i should get. Kind of new to this so any info would help.
Thanks

·
Registered
461 Posts
A cold air intake only works if its bringing in Cold Air. Which means if you don't get the filter away from the heat soaked motor it will actually hurt you.

Easiest way to achieve cold air is to tuck the air filter in the bumper away from the motor and giving it a plethora of fresh cold air. Other ways are to either purchase or make an air dam to put around your filter to keep the hot motor temps away from it.

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
A cold air intake only works if its bringing in Cold Air. Which means if you don't get the filter away from the heat soaked motor it will actually hurt you.

Easiest way to achieve cold air is to tuck the air filter in the bumper away from the motor and giving it a plethora of fresh cold air. Other ways are to either purchase or make an air dam to put around your filter to keep the hot motor temps away from it.
or the OP can either buy a fenderwell intake or throw a drop in K&N filter into the factory housing and remove the whale penis

edit: also a lot of people run ram air stye intakes like Zat with no issue...so to the OP..don't let that shy you away from a sexy ram air style if you'd like the looks of one

·
Registered
277 Posts
dont waste your money on the BBK, K&N, C&L, EXT cold airs.. if you really want one

Mustang GT Cold Air Intake at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

its americanmuscle's generic one.. does the same thing without the fancy sticker.. real simple to put in..

however id suggest saving your money or a better upgrade - gears- T-lok.. HOWEVER
I do understand if its your first and you really want it.. was my first too... just i looked back and say damn... should of went with gears.

OH and fyi.. about 3k rpm you may get a whistle sound with that intake when you shift (sounds kinda cool but whatever) have had people think I have a turbo under there... And no i dont have the turbo whistle in the intake

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
dont waste your money on the BBK, K&N, C&L, EXT cold airs.. if you really want one

its americanmuscle's generic one.. does the same thing without the fancy sticker.. real simple to put in..

however id suggest saving your money or a better upgrade - gears- T-lok.. HOWEVER
I do understand if its your first and you really want it.. was my first too... just i looked back and say damn... should of went with a v8.

OH and fyi.. about 3k rpm you may get a whistle sound with that intake when you shift (sounds kinda cool but whatever) have had people think I have a turbo under there... And no i dont have the turbo whistle in the intake
fixed it for you :)

but seriously the AM on is good...ebay kits are just as good OP if you want to save even more cash. intakes are intakes no matter the name on them

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I do understand if its your first and you really want it.. was my first too... just i looked back and say damn... should of went with gears.

this one says its only for GT's

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have the K&N front bumper CAI which they don't offer any more because the air filter had a tendency to get blown off in windy conditions. I fixed this by adding four self tapping screws into the neck with rubber washers to keep the air from leaking back out. I then painted the screws black to "blend them in". After all the money I've spent on the CAI and the 2nd filter I would have been better off with a Autozone special. Just get some tubing and make one.

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
yay...plastic autozone specials. thanks for the advice lumoon. where would we be without your indepth thought process :upsidedownllama

·
Registered
461 Posts
hey hey my autozone sells aluminum tubing. Just trying to save this guy some money. You know bad economy and all.

Get the AM one and call it a day. I know others have it and some who have the K&N and they all reported the same thing. If you want the K&N name get some stickers and slap 'em on.

I have to scroll the screen all the way down to focus on typing 6er

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hey hey my autozone sells aluminum tubing. Just trying to save this guy some money. You know bad economy and all.

Get the AM one and call it a day. I know others have it and some who have the K&N and they all reported the same thing. If you want the K&N name get some stickers and slap 'em on.

I have to scroll the screen all the way down to focus on typing 6er
I really dont care if it has a name or not. Just dont want to buy one that has problems and essentially a waste of money.

·
Registered
461 Posts
well K&N doesn't offer the problem kit any more. AM's kit is essentially the same as K&N's for less money and no stickers. A CAI won't show you very much performance right off the bat, but its a good addition to other modifications, such as a ported upper and lower intake, Cam shaft, Spray, etc...

One thing to watch out for in your modding experience is Throttle Body spacers. They do nothing from my experience, if you want a "spacer" get an intake manifold spacer from VAP.

·
Registered
461 Posts
well all CAI's are a waste of money sooooooo...research windstar intake on our search bar :yes
Hehe mine's on reserve. And when it gets here I'm doing a step by step write up of everything I did to install it with an EGR delete and possibly a lower intake port job and a intake spacer.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well all CAI's are a waste of money sooooooo...research windstar intake on our search bar :yes
like i said im pretty new to this:D. What exactly is a windstar intake? Is it from a ford windstar or....what?

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
One thing to watch out for in your modding experience is Throttle Body spacers. They do nothing from my experience, if you want a "spacer" get an intake manifold spacer from VAP.
why buy a pos intake spacer when you can build a windstar kit...get more out of it, and look way better in the engine bay....:eek:

@mustang...yes the windstar intake is from the minivan...great to know that you car will gain some nice numbers with a minivan part right lol

you can buy a kit new from VAP for around $400...however if you go to a salvage yard you can usually find a windstar and get the intake for $25-50 and then buy the rest of the parts needed from VAP...save you a few hundered dollars that way

1 - 20 of 27 Posts