Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about ordering a cai/plenum/TB for my car,should I expect any sort of gain from all of these? Il just go with a American Muscle cai,but whats a good budget plenum/tb combo?

·
Registered
403 Posts
The accufab75mm TB and plenum is a pretty decent deal. With that and a CAI you could see around 20-25hp on a good day. BUT if you were to buy a tuner such as the SCT flash tuner and use their bama tuning deal and tell them what you bought they could optimize the fuel/air and everything else to peak your power gain. With the good tune you may see around 40hp if your lucky.

Keep in mind adding air to a stock motor doesnt bless you with insane amounts of power. but its a good start.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
would I be better off just ordering my sct now and getting the other small stuff later on? I was going to hold out and do the tuner/gear combo but im having trouble finding a good mechanic around here to install gears

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
The accufab75mm TB and plenum is a pretty decent deal. With that and a CAI you could see around 20-25hp on a good day. BUT if you were to buy a tuner such as the SCT flash tuner and use their bama tuning deal and tell them what you bought they could optimize the fuel/air and everything else to peak your power gain. With the good tune you may see around 40hp if your lucky.

Keep in mind adding air to a stock motor doesnt bless you with insane amounts of power. but its a good start.
I do not know much about the 2V motors but those gains seem quite high for a tune, CAI and TB/Plenum.

Someone correct me if i am wrong.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts

yeah not even close maybe 10-15 hp tops. the stock intake throttle body and plenum flow plenty of cfm on a stock motor. i would keep the stock parts and do a drop in air filter. save up for better gaining parts later on down the road.

·
Registered
403 Posts
yeah not even close maybe 10-15 hp tops. the stock intake throttle body and plenum flow plenty of cfm on a stock motor. i would keep the stock parts and do a drop in air filter. save up for better gaining parts later on down the road.
Like i said. On a good day. It depends what your location is. I know down here in FL you would see around a 20hp gain on cooler, dry sunny day.

Unfortunatly is been like 950 degrees lately.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
403 Posts
Well if thats how you like to do it thats cool. I was just blabbering, Super tired and all that. What do you plan on doing? 3.55,3.73, 4.10? Do you ever plan on upgrading the cams?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well if thats how you like to do it thats cool. I was just blabbering, Super tired and all that. What do you plan on doing? 3.55,3.73, 4.10? Do you ever plan on upgrading the cams?
My car is an auto,only mods so far are offroad hpipe and flowmaster catback. Im trying to pick between 373 and 410s. Im just having trouble finding someone in my area to install them.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
auto i would deff build the trans and do 4.10's. think things threw, dont buy parts you may be pulling off later for another build. if you plan on sc dont waste money on underdrive pulleys or a cold air. if you plan on running serous fast times at the track dont install gears with out upgrading diff and axles. have a plan, think it out.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Ok. Well IF you would ever like to do cams, the heavier cams like the Comp XE270AH(which is a VERY good choice) requires at least 3.73s. And thats what i have in mine and i think their the perfect ratio for a DD. 4.10s are just too short imo. And it sucks but have you tried the ford dealer in your area?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
auto i would deff build the trans and do 4.10's. think things threw, dont buy parts you may be pulling off later for another build. if you plan on sc dont waste money on underdrive pulleys or a cold air. if you plan on running serous fast times at the track dont install gears with out upgrading diff and axles. have a plan, think it out.
I read pullies werent a good mod. Right now the car is a DD. I would like to start pieceing parts for a sc but that wont be for awhile. I just want to make the car more fun to drive without wasting money on the wrong parts. I might make a trip or two to the track but my car wont be a serious drag racer.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Actually ive never heard anything bad about pullies. its interesting people made bad reviews about them. For like $150 thats a decent upgrade. But i wouldnt reccomend it if you wanted to go s/c. unless you planned to take them off and resell lol.

·
MMM JELLO!!!
905 Posts
it wont really add power just way better throttle response which is good. and a bbk plenum/tb whould be good if ur state allows it or accufab

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Dont waste money on Accufab. All you really need is the plenum, the Stack plenum is like 130 on AM, or Trick Flow(same as Professional Products) plenum is a little over 100 at CJPony parts.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I just installed a 75MM TB, PP Plenum, Typhoon intake, K&N CAI with the 87oct Performance sct tune from Bama on my car. I did this a while back on mine but should have left CAI out for future FI. I port matched the intake to the heads and the plenum to the intake. I honestly don't know if the tune from bama is weak or if I should just pony up and load the 92oct race tune, but I really don't feel more than a 10-15rwhp gain. Worth the money??? NO!!!!

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Premium fuel is a necessity. 99-04 2v PI cars with a tune respond at least better than 96-98 2v's do. There's just not as much of that "umph" in drive-by-wire and low-end torque that you gain with a tune on an 05+ 3v. With that being said, we've seen 20-30RWHP gains with premium fuel on PI 2v's with similar mods.

Rule of thumb: don't expect a tuner to set the world on fire on a 2v (automatic is a little better), but the power IS there if you dyno before/after. The driveability just is harder to increase because it's a throttle cable and the factory left less on the table.

It's definitely worth it to tighten up your part throttle fuel trims and timing, and gain some gas mileage. It's also worth it to optimize the WOT spark and fueling to match your new mods. I'll bet if you make a few WOT blasts on the street with 92 octane, then immediately go back to stock and do the same thing - you'll notice a big difference.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts