Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to modded mustangs. I have a 09 GT with 3:31 gears with a 5 speed. I am trying to decide what mods to begin with. I leaning toward a FRPP CAI with a SCT custom tuner. Dollars are limited right now so I was curious what you folks think would be the best way to go: Should I go with the cai/tuner combo or a tuner/3:73 gear combo. I don't plan to race the car; I just drive it on the weekends when the weather is nice. Really looking for better throttle response and a little better seat of the pants feel. Right now the only mod I've done is American Thunder Axle Backs. Thanks

·
You had one job!
9,138 Posts
I would start with CAI/tuner. You will feel the difference right away and give you time to decide if 3.73"s are thr right gera for you or maybe you want to go with 4.10's after drivinging it a bit longer.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I got my cai tuner and 4.10s all at the same time, but if I had to pick two id go with the tuner and cai. They complement each other and the power gain is pretty damn good. Btw if your running a manual and don't plan to go boost, check into frpp 4.10s I love them.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Welcome to MM! If money is tight and you have never done a gear install I would recommend the CAI/tuner combo as the labor cost for installing gears can be a lot.

You won't be dissappointed with either choice though!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I would say the gears but you gotta remember the extra cost to have them installed. The CAI & tune will give you more HP but the gears will make it quick of the line and for manual I say go with 4.10's or 3.73 for auto.

·
babe, let's get packed
2,034 Posts
I started with the Steeda CAI and SCT tuner. Then the short-throw shifter, then the 4.10 gears. :rolleyes:
Then the springs, koni shocks, wide tires, mufflers...

·
Registered
486 Posts
With gears, you're committing to the direction you take your car. 3.31's would be good for a future turbo setup, but 4.10's are appropriate for a centri. Go with the CAI/tuner for now, and think about gears once you have a better idea of what your goals are.

·
Registered
185 Posts
"With gears, you're committing to the direction you take your car. 3.31's would be good for a future turbo setup, but 4.10's are appropriate for a centri. Go with the CAI/tuner for now, and think about gears once you have a better idea of what your goals are."

True. Gotta agree on the CAI/ Tunner depending on the direction you wana go. I have an M90 Roush Supercharger Auto so I put the 3.73's in but I already have a Steeda CAI.

·
Registered
34 Posts
yeah i would do the cai and tuner, just because the cost to install gears if you cant do them yourself. but dont expect a crazy change in power. the gears will get your rpms up fast so you can get off the line better, but go with the 4.10 if you have a manual.

·
Registered
789 Posts
yeah i would do the cai and tuner, just because the cost to install gears if you cant do them yourself. but dont expect a crazy change in power. the gears will get your rpms up fast so you can get off the line better, but go with the 4.10 if you have a manual.
I agree and disagree, no there will not be a "crazy increase in power". With either three but for the dollar per horse power ratio, these are probably the best three mods you can do to build a foundation for your car. You definitely will feel a power increase with all three no matter what you decide to go with. And if your staying NA these are almost necessary steps to some good power increases.

·
Your Resident Badass
4,199 Posts
As said, wait for the gears till you know exactly what setup you're going to have. The CAI/Tuner is a good start.

·
Blood, Sweat and Gears...
2,139 Posts
CAI & tuner 1st, 4.10's later :)

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
yeah i would say cai/ tuner, that is what i did with my 09!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree and disagree, no there will not be a "crazy increase in power". With either three but for the dollar per horse power ratio, these are probably the best three mods you can do to build a foundation for your car. You definitely will feel a power increase with all three no matter what you decide to go with. And if your staying NA these are almost necessary steps to some good power increases.
Thanks for the feed back to all of you. I guess it will be cai/tuner to start. Gears won't be too far off, then the shifter. I think I'll go FRPP on the cold air. Looks like a good clean fit. I might loose a little horse power vs some of the other cai, but I like the way it looks under the hood.
Thanks again.

·
3v reppin'
3,454 Posts
I went with gears first (3:73) and I really liked the quickness off the line. It was very noticeable. But I just (finally) got a SCT tuner and I ****ing love the throttle response in 2nd gear now. So... I'm gonna join with the consensus and say go with the CAI and Tuner.

And welcome to being broke.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well.......I'd skip the CAI for now and go with the tuner 3.73s/combo. I can actually speak from experience on this one. My brother and I both got the SCT tuner. We both have 2009 verts. He opted for the K&N filter I got a CAI cheap here on MM and couldn't refuse the GREAT price. There is NO NOTICIBLE DIFFERENCE. You'd be best, if your on the budget, to get the Tuner from SCT because "IT ROCKS" (swear on my life) and the rear end gears from AM. Both add a FAR more noticable CHANGE than any CAI ever will! Then pick up the CAI here on MM or on e-bay for CHEAP and still have BAMA send you the tune for when you do the upgrade. I picked up my CAI for $65 and cleaned it in the bathtube. Waa Laa.......just like new!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I went with gears first (3:73) and I really liked the quickness off the line. It was very noticeable. But I just (finally) got a SCT tuner and I ****ing love the throttle response in 2nd gear now. So... I'm gonna join with the consensus and say go with the CAI and Tuner.

And welcome to being broke.
Now this confuses me bud. You got the gears and Tuner but you recommend the tuner and CAI?

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts