Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have done some research and i am still confused with all the different types.
I am going to get a CAI but i am still lost on which one to get.
FRPP's cai says it gives approx 20 hp more, but it is $600. is it 600 because it is better than the rest or is it 600 because it is FRPP?
I can buy a JLT for 200 but i can get it with a sct tuner for 550.
Obviously i am going to get a tuner. both the FRPP and the JLT have packages with tuners, and that brings me to the next question, which tuner is best?
I really have no clue on tuners.
Also i can get a K&N air filter which gives 15 hp, and is around 300 dollars but there is no package that comes with a tuner.
And yes i did search and read different posts for the last few days and i am still confused..

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
FRPP is so much just becaust of what it says. Personally, I wouldn't buy a generic tune/cai package, I'd get one from a tuner. I reccomend Brenspeed, as I've used them many times. But bamachips and VMP Tuning are also both supposed to be very good. As far as brand kit, there are a lot of good ones and many are gonna be close in performance. I had a JLT and was pretty unhappy with it, so I switched to a C&L Racer. IMO, the racer is FAR better quality. So my reccomendation would be either a Racer (it is much cheaper than the C&L Street) or a Steeda intake, with a tune from Brenspeed or VMP.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Peanut, as far as which tuner to get is debatable. Both Diablo and SCT pretty much can do the same things with SCT having a slight edge only if you have an auto tranny. The one other factor which should determine which brand you should go with are who you are going to be working with as far as e-mail and local dyno tunes. Some tuners are brand specific as far as which system they use, others do both. Just look into it before you purchase. I would recommend the SCT for an auto tranny and it would be a toss up if I was manual.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I have a JLT Intake with a Airaid Dry Flow Fliter and a Diablo Sport Tuner.

I choose this setup because of the sheer diameter of the JLT Intake tube, it was the largest I could find, and I went with the Airaid and saw improved dyno results in air/fuel with the dry flow over K&N or JLT Filter.

The Diablo Sport Tuner also comes with a preloaded JLT 93 octane program, along with others to make tuning super easy and effective.

·
Registered
328 Posts
when you buy a frpp intake it comes with a calibrator to adjust the maf function in the ecu and if you buy a sct handheld you will have to take it out and adjust the tune again... the diablo does not come with this info preloaded. THe JLT and the c&l are the best imo those are the only ones we use in our shop and they do a fine job.. Dont forget the sct tool can turn off the rear O2s and the diablo can't..

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have had my JLT for a year and a half with no problems. My opinion is the C&L looks a lot better but performance wise you will not be disappointed with the JLT.

Like the others said get the combo from a tuner.

·
Registered
420 Posts
yea get the combo from a reputable shop. the jlt and c&l are the best. i love the power my jlt gave me and the looks with the custome color to match your car but the c&l looks great and performs great too! Dont waist your time with k&n they dropped the ball with our cars but if you wanted one without a tuner get the airaid and then if you want more power later you can get a tuner and tune it and add all the other bolt ons.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
see there in lies the problem. i am so lost on which one to buy it is not even funny. I do not have any local shops that i trust. most of the people i know of are crooks, and the only one i trusted went out of business because of the crooks... so i guess i will have to go with the recommended brenspeed or vmp... need i ask which one is better?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
I'm having mine custom built with a diablo predator tune. Inlet elbow is getting painted the same color code as my car. I'll post pics as soon as its all done. NX 100 shot kit also getting installed while the intake is getting done!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
well.. i just happent to have a spare S+B CAI they have the best hp numbers you can get without a tune.But if you are getting a CAI and want a tuner buy it as a package from brenspeed. If you do this you will be happy :)

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
As you can see, we are all bias.

Do research, pick which one you like best, better than spending $400 on a tuner and $200 on a CAI and come to find out you are dismayed.
I'm no biased. I am an example of what you said about being dismayed, as I bought a JLT intake and was unhappy with it, then bought a C&L and love it. WIsh I would have saved the money and bought a C&L in the first place. And, not sure where your research took you, but what part of the JLT intake is bigger than the C&L racer?

Like I said, I have never had any problems with Brenspeed. Car runs good with their tune, it's reasonably quick too. But I would not hesitate to buy a tune from VMP either.

If you do want a JLT intake though, I have one laying around I'll sell ya.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
i have done some research and i am still confused with all the different types.
yea get the combo from a reputable shop. the jlt and c&l are the best. i love the power my jlt gave me and the looks with the custome color to match your car but the c&l looks great and performs great too! Dont waist your time with k&n they dropped the ball with our cars but if you wanted one without a tuner get the airaid and then if you want more power later you can get a tuner and tune it and add all the other bolt ons.
Hello acpeanut73,

Take a look at the AIRAID Intake system.

The Overall Quality of Components, Fit & Finish, and Performance are 2nd To None!

All AIRAID Intakes are Made in the USA and Feature our Lifetime "No-Hassle" Warranty.

All AIRAID Intakes come fully tuned and calibrated and does NOT require aftermarket tuning.

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Hello acpeanut73,

Take a look at the AIRAID Intake system.

The Overall Quality of Components, Fit & Finish, and Performance are 2nd To None!

All AIRAID Intakes are Made in the USA and Feature our Lifetime "No-Hassle" Warranty.

All AIRAID Intakes come fully tuned and calibrated and does NOT require aftermarket tuning.

Thanks,
David
I run the Roush CAI, which is the the same as the Airaid. I ran it with both with no tune, and later pulled out the venturi insert and opened up to 101 mm and ran it with a canned Diablo tune and a Bama tune. Pretty happy all the say around with it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.