Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I was trying to fix up a few things as best I could on my car and found this on the front left caliper.
View attachment 24849

View attachment 24850

View attachment 24851

The front left wheel has a very hard time being turned, the pistons this come out and can go back in. Worked out a deal where my mother is going to pay for two new calipers (I always do brake work in pairs) thank fully.

Two questions.

1) What could have done this to the piston?
2) What color should I paint them?

I plan to paint them later today after I pick up the new calipers.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Or is there an other color that You guys would do?

·
June 2010 ROTM
1,913 Posts
The caliper froze.
It just happens sometimes.
You live in MA... lots of salt on the roads doesnt help. But its not totally uncommon.

I"d pick up a good used set from the classifieds. There are tons of them out there.

Good time to upgrade to Cobra brakes, if your rims are big enough??

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
Time for a Cobra brake upgrade :D

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
I agree on the cobra upgrade if you can talk your mom into it. On a black car you can paint the calipers any color really. Red looks good but is kinda played out. Blue would look good too, like a shade of blue that matches the ford oval.

How big do the rims need to be to do a cobra brake upgrade? Do they work with the factory bullitts?

·
Registered
656 Posts
heres a caliper question for you...brembo 4 piston calipers or wilwood dynalite 4 piston calipers? i cant decide. im gettin drilled/slotted 13in rotors and cnc bent brake lines too. and who makes good rotors and calipers for the rear of our cars? i cant find a whole lot. but in your situation i would do a cobra brake upgrade on the front, and since its the same out back for gt and cobra, find some better slotted rotors and like 2 piston calipers for out back, thats what im doin. i have a full cobra brake kit and the back sucks.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol. I looked at a cobra brake setup. It's a no go. She said I don't have a cobra so there is no need for them. I shoot back with I would be safer and able to stop better with them, and she told me to pay more attention to the road and be lucky she was paying for them.

The cobra brake setup would work fine with my 17X8 rims.

As far as the brembo wilwood goes, IMO go with a y2k Cobra brake setup. It's brembo. I know a few people that run brembo on cars they have and they love them.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The blue would be nice, but I think it would be a bit too dark. I am thinking like a red or orange for them now that I have seen some pics. Then again it all depends on the Napa has in stock. Got to get them painted and put on by tomorrow before 8am. lol. and get the car detailed too.

·
Registered
656 Posts
make sure to get caliper paint and now just spraypaint. i just did mine red because thats what they originally were. i sanded them, steel brushed all of the dust and dirt off, sanded again, used some pre paint cleaner and then painted them and waited for it to dry then painted them again, and again, the caliper paint should cure in like 24 hours or less.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
make sure you get a set of hoses while ur at it and pick up some antiseize to put on parts that contact the pads. also, be sure to get new slides with the new calipers. a caliper that hangs up is usually a result of a seized up slide.

·
June 2010 ROTM
1,913 Posts
heres a caliper question for you...brembo 4 piston calipers or wilwood dynalite 4 piston calipers? i cant decide. im gettin drilled/slotted 13in rotors and cnc bent brake lines too. and who makes good rotors and calipers for the rear of our cars? i cant find a whole lot. but in your situation i would do a cobra brake upgrade on the front, and since its the same out back for gt and cobra, find some better slotted rotors and like 2 piston calipers for out back, thats what im doin. i have a full cobra brake kit and the back sucks.
I have the 4 piston Brembos. Most of the guys in my club that road race all use the Brembo set up.. There is nothing for the rear unless you want to spend a ton of money, and its not worth it. All the racers just use the Cobra upgrade, myself included.

Few rims will fit with the Brembos. you need a 17 inch with nearly a 6 inch backspace. 95 Cobra R's fit, Konig Villians, and just a few others will fit.

As far as Rotors, we all run stock Cobra front rotors. No slots or holes. If you want them for looks, thats cool, but they dont do much else.

The brembo slotted rotors that came with mine, warped after 3 track session. I have been running stock Cobras for like 10 track days, and no problems what so ever. Any questions, hit me up.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
if it's not too late, paint them lambo green. That color is sexy as hell on a blacked out car.

·
June 2010 ROTM
1,913 Posts
Here dude... here is a full Cobra upgrade this guy has for sale. A set of GT calipers is about the same as this guy is asking for Cobra PBR's, rotors, SS lines. for $375. I'd jump all over that if I were you. You mom will never know the diff.

13" PBR brake setup - Corral Forums

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
lol. I looked at a cobra brake setup. It's a no go. She said I don't have a cobra so there is no need for them. I shoot back with I would be safer and able to stop better with them, and she told me to pay more attention to the road and be lucky she was paying for them.

The cobra brake setup would work fine with my 17X8 rims.

As far as the brembo wilwood goes, IMO go with a y2k Cobra brake setup. It's brembo. I know a few people that run brembo on cars they have and they love them.
Then get the bullit/Mach 1 ones ;)

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lol. I just paid $174 from Ford for new front calipers. Well my mother got them for me. None of the Auto stores around me had caliper paint. I am going back tomorrow (autozone) and see what they got from the shipment they just got today.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
lol. I just paid $174 from Ford for new front calipers. Well my mother got them for me. None of the Auto stores around me had caliper paint. I am going back tomorrow (autozone) and see what they got from the shipment they just got today.
*cough*lambogreen*cough*

:shiftyeyes

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
i am painting mine white with black brackets.
would look better the other way around. black with white brackets. my opinion...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts