Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another one of these threads, havent seen any recently on this forum since I've registered. Theres just such a variance between setups, and I'm currently building one now, so just looking to put a good thread out there for people to check out. I've googled looking for threads like this and found a couple, but no major ones from modded mustangs!

Anyhow, post up your setup, boltons, ect (everything) and what your pulling at the track and at the dyno! I seen a guy on youtube, with a gt40p setup with a custom cam turning 320ish rwhp!!! That woudl be amazing.

Its looking like avg gt40 setups are 250ish, and gt40p setups are 260-280ish. Where are you?

Maybe this thread is a success, so I'll go ahead and post my setup, and get back with you guys when I get to the dyno and track.Maybe I can also get some more guestimates on rwhp. I've already had one guess in my other thread (Help me build gt40p setup with turbo) which I ended up not turboing yet, will go supercharger, but thats tax time.

Any more guesses?

1987 5.0 LX notch,

Stock bottom end: just freshened up, home balanced, rings, rod, main, and cam bearings, cylinders honed pistons cleaned and re torqued ect.

Tranny: AOD, Unknown, bought a parts car and had this tranny in it, looked like brand new so figured I'll give it a shot, had a trickflow trans pan on the bottom and was hooked up to a transcooler, also had a ford blue torque converter in it, the motor it came off of was hopped up, so im guessing it probably has a stall, and possibly shift kit.

Topend:

Home ported GT40p heads w/ tfs spring kit, GT40 Tubular intake (with lower and spacer), TFS stage 1 cam, bbk 70mm throttle body, 73mm C&L Mass air converted, tb spacer

Misc:

power pullies, electric fan, smog pump bypass, hooker shorty unequal headers, stock injectors, Hpipe w/ flowmasters, and K&N drop in w/ silencer delete. I also have a set of 3.73s that I havent installed, but may not due to boosting, but I know it doesnt add hp

Is 250rwhp about right with that setup?

·
Registered
3,214 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Guys with a well matched and tuned setup are making 300 wheel hp. Guessing from my 1/4 mile speed and ET my setup is putting out 240 ish. I have GT40P heads and intake, stock Mustang cam, shorty headers, CAI, stock exhaust and 2.73 gears with a canned tune.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking that. For some reason I just think 250 is low for my setup, I guess when I get it slapped back together theres only one way to find out.

I see straight gt40 (non P) w/ explorer intakes making 260ish, I was thinking my tubular intake, with the P heads, spring kit, and tfs1 cam, along with all those boltons should do better than 250

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
AOD's suck up lots of rwhp. 250 throught an AOD is realistic. Same engine through a T5 maybe 275-290!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hate when I hear what I dont want to hear. But seriously? Your saying a AOD uses 18% more power than a T5? Ive always heard around 10%?

Do you have a T5? I'm seriously not trying to be an ass right now, so dont take it wrong I'm just trying to nail the answer here. Do you have a T5?

Reason I ask, I've noticed that everyone with the T5 thinks their almighty over the AOD? Has anyone else got that impressioin? I found a dyno site, where the guy was putting his numbers down with aods vs t5s, and I only noticed about 10-15hp more thru the T5, but when you talk to people on the forums they say like you said, up to 40hp? But then when you find the guys that really race, they run AODs or C4s? To me personally, and Im no expert, seems like an AOD would be just as fast E/T wise, due to the faster shifting? 10hp shouldnt be more than .1 thru the 1/4, but between 3 gears and seems like you would lose that going down the track.

I may sound like an idiot after the above paragraph, but I'm just making sure the 5 speed guys just arent on power trips because they can put 15 more ponys to the ground. I just cant see how an AOD sucks 18% more drivetrain loss, or 40hp!? I see you run a turbo on your setup, I know for fact that turbos LOVE automatics.

I just read a mustang magazine article, that took a mustang with an aod dyno, then installed the t5 and dynod it, they claim they only gained 16 hp. They say typically 8-10% loss with the aod. I found a forum where a guy was complaining after doing a t5 swap because he only gaine about 10hp at the wheel. But your not the only one that give pretty much those exact numbers, 250 at wheel, 270-290 with T5. So where are these numbers coming from? Ive found 2 examples where theyve swapped the tranny only and dynod, and both were never anymore than 20hp, but your showing up to a 40hp gain with a t5?

http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-5-8-engine-tech/1313525-another-gt40p-dyno.html

Theres a almost 300hp aod with a setup almost just like mine.. but the heads havent even been ported, and he doesnt list near the boltons I have??

·
Exhaust fume addict
1,526 Posts
It's all just numbers man. Put your car on a dynojet then on a mustang dyno and you will have two different numbers. Then dyno your car at sea level and at altitude. And the that's two more vastly different dyno sheets. A dyno is a tuning tool. A drag strip is where the bragging rights are won

138 Posts
your not getting a big horsepower gain from a t5 swap, but you are getting more torque. plus by dumping the cluch your getting your rpms up faster then an auto.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Exactly, thats just sounding like another I have a 5spd so its better comment. I think tye other guy is right though, and Im just getting my head too wrapped up in the numbers..

Ive only found a few setups aod thats gt40p only making 240-250, more so are 260-280, the non p heads seem to average 245-255ish.. but theres still a good bit at 290-310 with sheets witg p heads and even a few with no porting or valve changes..

Im probably just being a dick because I dont want to believe that Im putting all this time and money in a 5.0 v8 and barely hit 250hp, it just doesnt even sound good.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
aod has 2.40 first gear ratios, and t5 has 3.35first gear ratio. bigger gears, faster acceleration.
have you ever wrode in an aod foxbody doing the 1-2-1 shuffle? When you shift into 2nd Id still be be holding first never losing momentum then you go to 3rd after Ive churped into 2nd.. I dont know..an aod with a shift kit and stall converter with a set of gears is a pretty decent setup..

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Its what people prefer. I have swapped several cars to manual and I always notice more pep when it's done. A torquey automatic v8 doesn't feel as sluggish as a little auto 4 cylinder but take the same engine and most times the manual will be quicker if you can drive well. I like the control and direct connection that a manual gives compared to an automatic.

138 Posts
yes i have, ive also raced in one and against one both stock and as long as the person in the stick dont suck he has the bottom end from the 3.35 and the top end from the from the .63.

ive seen a 350 hp mustang beat a 500 hp mustang just because of gear ratioing.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I've owned several AOD cars, all had modified AOD's, and they are great! But if all you're after is the almighty hp number a T5 will win every time. A few years back I had a 86 notch with a nice AOD(one peice input shaft, 3500 stall, Trans Go AOD-HP shift kit with high rpm govener kit that shifted by itself at around 5600rpm, just leave it in drive) The best 1/8th mile time was a 8.39, with just a switch to a similar prepped C4 the car went 8.11 with no other mods. It sounds like you are focusing too much on a number, rather than what the car will actually run. My full weight 82 Capri only made 248rwhp on a Dyno Dynamics dyno, but ran a 7.69 @ 88 1/8th just a few months ago(through a T5!)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hell yeah man.. what woupd you estimate an aod setup similar to mine in the 1/8th? 8s would make.me happy but sprayin into 7s would be awesome...

I understand the t5 will put more down at the wheels, but really 40hp? Ive found no comparison showing more than 20hp.. and the t5 swap had aftermarket clutch fly ect..

It just seems like my estimated hp qs goes like this: I have x mods with a aod whats ur guess with a rwho number? And the answer is always 250 but if you would had a t5 300! A little dramatized just show my point.. a budy of mine has a 5spd stock 95 5.0.. mines a 87 aod notch mostly stock and I could always cut him by at least 2 legnths..

Back on subject tho, any of you guys have a gt40p setup?

·
Exhaust fume addict
1,526 Posts
I'm sorry but if an average gt40 setup thru a t5 is putting 300 to the wheels there are a lot of stupid people spending thousands on aluminum heads. I'm thinking if the gt40 setup put down 300 a trick flow setup should put up 325+ on that dyno. Maybe I'm wrong and wasted my money on trick flow heads. I spent a lot more than you and I would be happy at 300 to the wheels. And I have a trickflow top end

·
Registered
854 Posts
a budy of mine has a 5spd stock 95 5.0.. mines a 87 aod notch mostly stock and I could always cut him by at least 2 legnths..
Your comparing apples to oranges here, a hci mustang should be cutting a couple car lengths on a stock mustang, t5 or not..... It doesnt make any kind of comparison that says anything about anything.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
hell yeah man.. what woupd you estimate an aod setup similar to mine in the 1/8th? 8s would make.me happy but sprayin into 7s would be awesome...
Just as a referance: My buddy has a 90 Notch AOD, stock short block, Comp XE264HR cam, Edelbrock Performer 5.0(1.90)heads, ported Explorer intake,65mm TB, 24 lbs inj. & matching 73mm mass air, backed with a non lockup AOD, Trans Go AOD-HP shift kit, 2800 conveter, 4.10's, also has subframes, rear control arms, etc. On a good day it will run 8.60's, but on a 175 shot I watched him run a 7.33!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
i have a similar setup as yours blackstallion. 90 ford mustang with ported gt40 heads, ported lower intake and tubular intake. AOD with a transgo shift kit, 3k stall, but stock cam with all the bolt-ons and i'm pushing 243 Rwhp. i also have 1.7rr as well. my guestimate would be 270 at the wheels.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts