Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You know how to decide a PI vs. NPI motor by looking at it? Are there any stampings that tell the year of the motor. I'm trying to make sure I wan't BS'd when I bought my 96 which is said to have a 99PI. I believe by the 13 valve cover bolts that it is a Windsor plant motor which in turn matches the "X" in the 8th VIN digit. Windsor motors also have 8-bolt cranks, no?

Help me get this off my mind...it's driving me crazy!:eek: I submitted many a post, but noone can give me a concrete answer to this.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Which side is the oil cap on? If it is on the passenger side I am pretty sure it is a Windsor. At least the valve covers are.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oil cap is on passenger side. Question at hand though, is about being PI or NPI...any other suggestions???

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I may be wrong but are there Windsor npi motors? I thought the only reason there were 4.6 Mustang motors made at the Windsor plant was due to a fire that happened at the Romeo plant pushing the production to the Windsor plant in 99. Then in mid 01 they went back to the Romeo plant.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually got them from Ebay...'magine that? Pretty cheap too! $9.95 for the SET if I remember right.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry, it was 9.95 a piece...I still like the way they look. Maybe I should have gotten the 5.1 badges?????????:no

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
That doesn't make since. They did. They produced the pi powerplant from mid 01-04 like I told you at the top.

I have the pi swap and have romeo pi heads. My 98 npi motor is a romeo motor. They only stopped making them there for a short time. I read once it was because of a fire they stopped. I am not sure if that is the reason or not. But it went romeo up until the 98's, then 99-mid 01 windsor, then late 01-04 romeo.

That is why I didn't get what was said at the front. From what I know the windsor were the only one's with the oil fill cap on the passenger side. I apologize if that is not exactly accurate but I think it is. You know your is a windsor or at least the valve covers are.

So you either have a windsor 99-early01 pi motor, a pi swap that was done with the windsor heads, or for some reason you have the windsor valve covers.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
The windsor also have the snap on cam sprockets but you can't see that from the outside and the romeo have the bolt on one's.

·
Registered
600 Posts
if the oil cap is on the passenger side it is probably a PI...but it doesnt really matter, my PI engine has the oil cap on the drivers side. the real way to know would be to look at the casting numbers on the heads. they will tell you whether its a PI or not

·
Registered
590 Posts
My PI setup (from an 02) has the oil cap on the right side. But the windsor valve covers wont fit romeo heads (different bolt patterns) so it's unlikely he has that...
I too vote PI, but there's only one way to find out. Find a 99-04 stang and race it. If you get stomped, you got screwed :) Or take it to the track.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts