Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have spent the past 2 weeks reading thru the cam threads on this website…and I am even more confused than before I read them !! LOL !! There are literally hundreds on here !! I am looking for a cam for a n/a engine. I have a 2003 gt 5speed, catted x-pipe, LM1 catback, 75mm throttle body, C&L intake plenum, C&L intake tube with K&N filter, u/d pulleys and 4.10 gears. I have read good and bad things about Comp, HiTech, CMS, Crower, Modular Head Shop. So how should I base my decision? I don’t know how to read the cam numbers and don’t know what they mean really. I want something that will add power, but I also want it to have that “cammy” sound and I also don’t want any PTV clearance issues as my car is a daily driver…so if one cam is good for 10 more ponies, but at the expense of driveability, I want to stay away from that. I don't want anything super radical, this is my daily driver.

I was reading on Modular Head Shop and I seem to be leaning towards theirs. Also like the CMS cams. HiTech said their cams would work much better if I had longtubes, and that is not something I am interested in buying or installing.

So, anyone run the Modular Head Shop cams or CMS with similar mods to mine? And how do you like them?

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
if i had a gt id look into hitech stage 2s, have you had your car dyno'd yet? and you know youll need a tune after the cams right?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if i had a gt id look into hitech stage 2s, have you had your car dyno'd yet? and you know youll need a tune after the cams right?

haven't had it dynoed...yes I know I need to get it tuned...the guy I talked to at HiTech said I really need longtubes with theirs...and that's not something I wanna do.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
cms stage 2's FTMFW!! imho its one of the best if not the best n/a cam out there.. thats my op tho.. and it has that "cammy" sound.. you tube it

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
you never plan on doing lts? and I dont think any stage 2 cam will make the car un streetable

·
Registered
1,747 Posts

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Most company's "stage 1" cams will give you some top-end hp gains with little or no loss in low end torque and will still be streetable.

I've got Comp 262AH cams. No PTV problem, slightly lopey, very torquey in the mid-range and a little bit more hp on top. Zero loss in low-end torque with a slight torque dip between 2800-3400 rpms only. No driveability issues but my car was dyno-tuned after the cams went in. I'm still using the stock valve springs and don't seem to be having problems there, but I don't rev the piss out of my motor either.

·
I'm cool..
2,277 Posts
Stage 1 are a waste. Period. End of story. No stage 2 will cause streetabillity issues. That's all in the tune. None will have PTV problems. Any cams you get will always work better with longtubes. Even stage 1. Then need to breathe and vent efficiently. Your intake side is great and your choking point is your exhaust side. Don't expect astronomical gains with any cams if your choking the exhaust. With that said get stage 2. Your choice here. Some swear CMS others swear Hitech, so forth and so forth.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
Make your choice based off of your future plans.

Figure out what you want to do in the future such as head work, fi, stay na, etc etc. Then choose what cam to go with.

Reason I say this is 90% of the people around here are balls deep in the hitechs. Sure theyre a good product for a simple bolt on car. But if you ever plan to go fi, do head work, etc, etc theyre about useless.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Stage 1's are not a total waste! It all depends on what you want out of your car. If I were building a strip-only car I would have went with bigger cams. My car is noticably stronger on the street and at the track as well. As it stands, when I add my Vortech supercharger the cams I have will work very well with it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Make your choice based off of your future plans.

Figure out what you want to do in the future such as head work, fi, stay na, etc etc. Then choose what cam to go with.

Reason I say this is 90% of the people around here are balls deep in the hitechs. Sure theyre a good product for a simple bolt on car. But if you ever plan to go fi, do head work, etc, etc theyre about useless.
there are no future plans...this is the last mod I am going to do

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
^ in that case id get a set of cms and some decent springs. The cams stevigx has are pretty nice too, I cant remember the name. I have the crower stage II's, theyre a little higher priced than some but id say theyre well worth it too. So far theyve worked great both na and fi.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
here are the specs for each that I got off of their respective websites:

CMS

540/550 lift, 224/226 .050" duration, 110 LSA

MHS

Advertised 260/265, .050 duration 222/226, lift at valve 525/500, centerlines 110/112, LSA 111

Both of these are their "stage 2" cams. Since I don't have a clue what the numbers mean, can someone tell me a little about how each will behave with my setup?

thanks

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
well the cms cam has a higher exhaust lift for us nitrous guys but is also a very good n/a cam also..
the mhs cam has a higher intake lift so it will give u more n/a hp.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
here are the specs for each that I got off of their respective websites:

CMS

540/550 lift, 224/226 .050" duration, 110 LSA

MHS

Advertised 260/265, .050 duration 222/226, lift at valve 525/500, centerlines 110/112, LSA 111

Both of these are their "stage 2" cams. Since I don't have a clue what the numbers mean, can someone tell me a little about how each will behave with my setup?

thanks

On the CMS cam
The 540/550 is how far the valve is opened, the 224/226 is how long it is open for, and the 110 LSA stands for lobe separation. Other words how many degrees apart the intake and exhaust lobes are apart.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
i KNOW the cms sams will.. my buddy has them..

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
boostang is your buddy running the cms stage 2's? Also what dyno #'s did he put down with them?

·
Registered
257 Posts
i personally think that any stage 2 cam will require longtubes to get their best performance, so it really is something to consider when doing cams. Also replacing valves springs is something to consider as well, especially if you are going to be reving higher, which some stage 2 cams will slightly change the power band and yield their performance in the higher rpm range. I have the hitech stage 2s, i didnt replace my valve springs (not saying its the best idea, its just what i did), but i also dont take it past 6000rpm. AJM had a great point about having a plan for the car so this wont cause you to spend wasted money on a set of cams. As far as people being balls deep with the hitechs....i think there are twice as many people stroking the CMS cock...i believe there is already a CMS FTMFW!!! comment in here before a HITECH FTW!!! comment....sorry ajm just had to throw it in out there ;) :hug

1 - 20 of 42 Posts