Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello im really new to this site, sorry if im posting in the wrong spot. First of all im looking to buy cams for my 1999 2v gt. It has a built bottom end by me. Stock windsor heads new valves. Vortech v1 2.62 pulley 44lb injectors dual pumps and everything else to support except bap i think and it has an auto trans no stall that i know of. Im wanting to know what is the best blower cams for the price. Cms 2 2.5 3? Or trickflow TFS-K51802004 since they come with springs and retainers. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Price is the main concern im already in pretty deep. I already have a programer and a tune will be next after this. Anyone on here have cams i need for a good price??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cms cams are very respectable, and have a great price tag. i would look at those and take a look at briantooleyracing valve springs.

What cam would be the best 2 2.5 3 3.5? I dont want to have to notch the pistons. Also are the trickflow TFS-K51802004 cams not good? They say 15 psi or more and im only going to be running max 15psi. The videos ive seen sound great for tf cams

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Cms cams are very respectable, and have a great price tag. i would look at those and take a look at briantooleyracing valve springs.

What cam would be the best 2 2.5 3 3.5? I dont want to have to notch the pistons. Also are the trickflow TFS-K51802004 cams not good? They say 15 psi or more and im only going to be running max 15psi. The videos ive seen sound great for tf cams
I am unfamiliar with that trickflow cam, but i have had experience with cms cams, my buddies cms stage 1 Na cams, and a set of CMS stage 2 turbo cams i had in my car. They were great cams.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
CMS stage 2 with CMS springs.

·
Registered
264 Posts
CMS stage 2 is my vote. Trickflow cams are ground specifically for Trickflow heads, so they won't work well with windsor heads because the valves are in different places. With a stage 2 from most companies youll be fine with stock valves and pistons, but 3 and up you need a fly cut on the pistons.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I would message jim cushman about the stage 2.5's, see what he thinks about your setup, your goals, and if the 2, 2.5, or 3 would best suit your application. And ask if piston reliefs are required

Reactions: GBPackerFan

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
You're going to need to get a stall converter, and bigger injectors. Are you using an intercooler? 6 rib or 8 rib pulley setup? On a 2.62 pulley you should make more than 15psi. If on a 6 rib you most likely have belt slip. I have a V1 S with a 3.12 pulley, powerpipe, a 3 core intercooler, and make right at 12psi at 6500rpm.Your other cam option would be to message Todd Warren (NA SVT) on Facebook so he can make you some custom cams. His cams make some crazy power. I believe his price is about $100 more than CMS. If you're set on CMS then stage 2.5 sounds like what you would want based on the blower you have. The stage 3 if you're looking to Rev higher than 6500rpm, and make 700+rwhp in the future with a bigger blower. I'd say with your setup you can expect around a 70rwhp gain from the 2.5's. Todd's cams would most likely gain a little more than that.

·
Premium Member
3,389 Posts
Trickflow cams are ground specifically for Trickflow heads, so they won't work well with windsor heads because the valves are in different places.
This statement is NOT correct.
The trickflow cams are ground the same as PI cams. Tric flow wasnt even smart enough to have them ground for their trickflow heads.
I have ran PI and TF ground cams in my TF heads without issue.

I also happen to know where there is a set of Trick Flow stage 2 cams for PI heads for sell under $300.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Trickflow cams are ground specifically for Trickflow heads, so they won't work well with windsor heads because the valves are in different places.
The trickflow cams are ground the same as PI cams. Tric flow wasnt even smart enough to have them ground for their trickflow heads.

I also happen to know where there is a set of Trick Flow stage 2 cams for PI heads for sell under $300.
Stage 2 NA cams or blower cams?

·
Registered
264 Posts

That's a surprise lol, I know CMS and MHS trick flow cams have different centerlines to make use of the relocated valves, I would think Trickflow would do the same. Oh well, you learn something new every day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts