Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i put in my cms stage 2 cams do i need to degree them? and if so can i get a quick rundown of how to do it? and what are some good adjustable cam gears? and will u need spacers with them?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Degree degree degree! And MHS (Modular head shop) has a good how-to article on installing and degreeing. Degreeing my Hi-Tech stage 2's today actually!

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Degree them. You don't need adjustable gears. Just file the keyway on the stock cam sprockets if you need adjustment one way or the other. The force of the cam bolt/spacer being torqued down is what keeps the cam in place, not the keyways.

edit: I hope you got or are getting upgrade springs. Those cams are above .550" lift which is the most the stock valve springs are going to handle

·
Registered
678 Posts
Yup, take the engine or heads out of the car. :) Doing valve springs in the car is a serious PITA. Mac makes a valve spring tool for OHC cars that is not all that expensive and is suppose to work pretty well. I bought one for the next time I have to do it but we didn't use it the first time and ended up breaking the regular tool 3 times.

·
Registered
678 Posts
youre in Xenia huh? Head to Columbus and help a brother out?!!? Haha just kidding.
If I weren't working weekends these days (that new engine ain't gonna pay for itself) I wouldn't mind lending a hand.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Real quick...how do I determine which valve is intake, which valve is exhaust?
I depends on which side of the engine you are working on because the head castings are identical which makes them mirror images when installed. On the drivers side I believe the valve closest to the front is the exhaust valve.

·
Registered
428 Posts
So second one in (intake, driver side) is the one I set the dial indicator to? And then passenger side the first one? This is the first time I've buried myself this deep in the motor.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Facing the engine, the first cylinder on your left is the number 1 cylinder and you want to set the ICL for the passenger side cam using that intake lobe. On your right hand side, the second cylinder back is the number 6 cylinder. You want to set the driver's side cam's ICL with that intake lobe. The intake lobe will correspond to the intake port on the head for the respective cylinder.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts