Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
All sissies going to Hell!
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so.....back to the question........anyone got them or know what they can do?

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I would compare spec sheets. As long as the cam is made from good material and with quality tolerances, it's all in the grind. Lift, duration, overlap: if they are the same I would think performance would be the same. Now there are some aspects of the cam that you may not be able to find on duration when it comes to spec sheets. Some cams will open the valve quicker and hold it open at max lift for longer than others. That will make a difference in performance.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I wouldn't buy anything that's unproven at this point unless the specs are comparable to other proven cams like 07 Boss said.

Reactions: navyman8903

·
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well all those links are the specs......and I am using stage II heads/ spr blower cams.....but I want to have a badass N/A setup then If I need more get the blower on there or the nitrous, with a bottom end.

But I am no expert in cams....I understand them, but I would like a camspert to help me out with the 3 supplied specs. :D That is what I am shooting for.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
All right Shore Patrol Boy,

I'm no expert but this is what I gathered from looking at the spec sheets. Both comp cams are of much higher lift and require springs (and phase limiters or lockouts). I don't think you need springs for the crower cams. I believe stock springs ar rated to 0.50 lift, but don't quote me on that. If you have Stage II heads then I am asuming that you have upgraded springs. I think the comp blower cams will flow more whether or not you ar F/I or not. It looks like they have a longer duration and a longer duration @ .050 lift which tells me they open a little quicker and stay open a little longer. I didn't look at the overlap but I am conjecturing that the blower cam has equal or less because it is for an F/I application.

If you don't want to upgrade your springs you can't go with either Comp cam.

If you have springs on your heads then it should depend on your final goal. The Stage II blowers will work fine for either F/I or N/A so I would go with those. The Stage II SPR's will be fine also but may not do as well with F/I as the Blower grind.

I would go with the Stage II Blower grind from Comp. It will work well with your heads and it will also be an easy transition to F/I down the road. I went with Stage I NSR blowers from Comp because I think I can reach my end goal with stock heads & springs.

Hope this helps Squidley!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Looking at the specs, they claim 7,000+ rpms, sounds like b.s. to me. Where is the lsa ? It looks like they didn't publish it. If the OP has Stage 2 heads, nothing they have listed is going to benefit you there. Ported heads that flow very well in the .550-.600 lift range should have a cam with profile with similar lift. Sounds like a custom grind would be the way to go.

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
Those specs dont make much sense honestly. On the stage II blower cam that crower has it says duration @50 is 230 and 230, the same on intake and exhuast? the lift is the same 527 on intake and exhuast. I would think for a blower cam you want some extra exhuast duration to evacuate heat and on any of comps bigger cams they usually have a little more exhuast lift then intake. 1 exhuast valve and 2 intake valves. Even the stock cams have a .450 lift on exhuast and .435 on intake.

But then again crower could have a different way of measuring things which is why its hard to compare specs from two different companies.

They cost more then comp and you know how comps perform so whats really the point? Comp stage II spr cams blower or n/a or just get a custom grind if you feel you have a custom want.

·
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was just looking at them....someone mentioned them and I was asking the specs and what they could do. I have a grasp on what the numbers on lift/duration/intake/exhaust and LSA are, but not really applying that to how much power to really expect and where. But long story short.....The guy who shall remain nameless looks to have been talking out of his ass.

I think the formula will be something along the lines of stage II heads/ 127550 cams. Runnig N/A for a little while and seeing if that is enough for the street and Upstate NY when I am on leave. If I get back from spain and feel I need more Power then the NOVI with a stroker will be the answer. Or a big N/A stroker if I need just a little more power. :D

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
haha that was odd

thread is clusterfuck.. i didnt even click link. google="camshaft design study"

·
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks rich....I was stupid confused.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts