Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the first of the year Im going to get a set of cams for my 4.6. It's my daily driver; here is my setup: CAI, 90mm mass air, 75 mm TB, intake elbow, Texas hot rods Hardballer intake, TFS 44 cc heads (with factory cams), FR shorty headers, BBK X pipe, flowmasters, FR 4.10's, sueprchips tune, Clevite main bearings. Im wanting a cam that will give me as much power through the rpm range while not having TOO harsh of an idle, and using stock pistons. I was thinking TFS stage 1 cams. Ive also been told everything from camp cams, to using the stock cams (I dont recomend). Any help???

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I'd talk with Cushman Motorsports and MMR and some others and see if they're working on anything specific for those heads yet.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks

Thanks ya'll! Ill let everyone now what I get and how it performs.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Trickflow, cushman motrsports and modular headship all have good cams designed for the tfs heads

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have my VT stage II's for sale now.... 375.00 and they are yours.......they made 355/349 with the TFS 44cc heads on a -2.3cc dish piston Stock Cobra short block and also used them on my stock GT block with no PTV issues........I decided to go forced induction at the last minute due to waiting another month for the custom dish piston....I am moving to Oklahoma in 2 months and had to get the car finished......going with a -18cc dish piston and 9.4 to 1 CR......gonna be fun with the NOVI 2000 and 16lbs of boost....should be 600 to the wheels thru and auto...one note though...the TFS heads give you about a 400rpm jump...so any cam that you run will have to be set for an 850-900 idle......these cams are choppy at idle below 750...I set mine to 900 and they sounded sweet and wasn't choppy at all.....the specks are .560/.575 lift int/exh 108 LSA 225/235 and they made the most power out of all the cams I tried......the cams I got from Nick are sweet with a 233/237 111 LSA .550/.540 lift....they put down 350/340 but I can use them for my blower for now......If you need any help or suggestions PM me.....

"ED"

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awsome thanks for the help. Like I said ill not get the cams for about 2 weeks or so, so dont hold those cams for me, ill get a set from summit racing. God bless!

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Awsome thanks for the help. Like I said ill not get the cams for about 2 weeks or so, so dont hold those cams for me, ill get a set from summit racing. God bless!
dude, he gave you great advice,learn from someone that has done alot of r
&d. those cms cams are awsum and thats a great price. BTW don't think you can get them thru summit

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I jsut installed cushman stage 1's but have to replace a chain guide before I can put it all back together. Stage 1's a waste or time? Stage 1's are fine for some people. I plan to do just a blower and maybe headers after this with my current mods and cams and stop there. Stage 1's are fine if you aren't trying to make a high power car. I will be perfectly happy at about 400-450 hp

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Maybe he shouldnt have said "waste of time" but why not go stage 2's is kinda the question. Its ALOT of work and getting tuned and **** so why not just go stage 2's? "i dont want that much power" is not a good answer as the difference in gains are not going to be that much. You'll probably end up doing some other bolt ons to get that same increase you could have got with the stage 2's over the stage 1's.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Yeah. I figure with the goals I have in mind the stage 1 would work best for me with the power band of the cams and all.

·
Registered
852 Posts
well if you want 400-450 hp then boosting will get you there cheaper than doing cams. but as well a cam'd mustang does sound sweet as hell.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have my VT stage II's for sale now.... 375.00 and they are yours.......they made 355/349 with the TFS 44cc heads on a -2.3cc dish piston Stock Cobra short block and also used them on my stock GT block with no PTV issues........I decided to go forced induction at the last minute due to waiting another month for the custom dish piston....I am moving to Oklahoma in 2 months and had to get the car finished......going with a -18cc dish piston and 9.4 to 1 CR......gonna be fun with the NOVI 2000 and 16lbs of boost....should be 600 to the wheels thru and auto...one note though...the TFS heads give you about a 400rpm jump...so any cam that you run will have to be set for an 850-900 idle......these cams are choppy at idle below 750...I set mine to 900 and they sounded sweet and wasn't choppy at all.....the specks are .560/.575 lift int/exh 108 LSA 225/235 and they made the most power out of all the cams I tried......the cams I got from Nick are sweet with a 233/237 111 LSA .550/.540 lift....they put down 350/340 but I can use them for my blower for now......If you need any help or suggestions PM me.....

"ED"
hey I was wondering how much money and mods did you have to do to get that kinda power at N/A.
PM if you want Im just kinda curious.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
the cms stage 1 cams are actually pretty damn aggressive for a stage 1, most companies would probably label them as a stage 2. Every cam manufacurer is different

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Re: stage 1 vs. stage 2 choice: not everyone wants to sacrifice low-end torque to pick up top-end power - that is why I went with "stage 1" cams. Oh and my weak "stage 1" car still manages to run 13.20s ...

·
Boost gets you laid
2,625 Posts
hey american muscle do you plan on ever going with a supercharger? they are fine on a DD.. if you ever want to go F/I i'd consider going with a stage 2 blower cam. they are more mild than N/A cams and will give you that increase you're looking for for an NA daily driver. then if you decide to go supercharged it will give you a very nice gain. just a thought.. they will probably give you about the same power while your Na as a stage 1 NA cam

1 - 20 of 54 Posts