Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I was looking into getting some cams for my stang. I was looking at these: Comp Cams Stage I Xtreme Energy XE262AH Mustang Camshafts (96-04 4.6L 2V) 102500 - Free Shipping!

My car is an 02 gt with a few bolt ons: bbk intake, summit racing offorad h-pipe, flowmaster 40s, and short throw shifter. It is my daily driver so I wanted a mild cam but I also want that nice cam idle. Are these cams good for daily driving with occasional stop and go traffic? Also do I need to replace the springs and do I need to buy any additional mods to support these cams?

Sorry I don't have that much knowledge when it comes to cams but I know a lot of you guys do.

Also if anyone knows an average price to install these that would be great.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Im not the smartest camshaft guy, but i believe that a stage 1 cam can be run with stock springs. That being said, if youre spending $600+ on cams, why not go with a stage 2 and upgrade the springs while youre there, for another ~$200, because most people end up wanting "more" once they start down the road in search of more hp...=)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol you do have a point but sadly I'm on a college student budget hahaha. I am considering going stage 2 cams but I just don't want it to be to much since once again I do daily drive it a lot

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I had these cams and took them out. The power was much better in lower to mid range rpms but started to feel like the car was running out of breath in higher rpms. I liked the lope too.

A couple reasons I took them out:

1) I had PTV issues with the Patriot Stage 2 heads and the car started smoking within 300 miles. Not sure WTF happened, but Patriot fixed the heads and I haven't had any issues from 18k to 55k miles since. Heads work great and the different cams I have in there now work great.
2) Wanted a more blower friendly cam (I know have HP S292 cams)

Other than that, I like them for a naturally aspirated cam.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for you comment. So HighDensity, did you have to put anything else to support these cams and are these better cams then going for 270 stage 2s?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is degreeing them. Told you I know nothing about cams lol

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Thanks for you comment. So HighDensity, did you have to put anything else to support these cams and are these better cams then going for 270 stage 2s?
Something to be aware of about cams, not one particular cam is necessarily "better" than another, but depending on your intention of the combination can make your results better depending on the application and use. The lift and duration of the cam make up it's characteristics, particularly the rpm range power numbers. Some make peak power in different ranges associated with gearing combos and some have a broad power band as opposed to a huge spike in peak numbers.

What are your longterm goals?

My Houston Performance S292 cams were a drop in.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I would suggest CMS Stage 1 cams over Comp Cams any day, all day. You'll have to wait a whole 10 - 14 days for delivery as they are ground after you order them rather than being stocked on a self.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea I heard CMS cams are good but I was going to order them on American muscle tomorrow with their sale if they are on sale.

·
Registered
593 Posts
The Comp cams will work fine. The whole point of a stage I cam is that you don't have to change springs or degree them. If you're going to degree and/or change springs then get the 270's. The labor should be cheaper if you don't change the springs. Also you can "degree" your cams, but how are you going to do anything about to fix it without adjustable timing gears? Just stick with a "stage I" cam, they are remove and replace.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Yea I heard CMS cams are good but I was going to order them on American muscle tomorrow with their sale if they are on sale.
CMS Stage 1 can be run without springs. CMS Stage 2 need springs I would get one of those. With the 5% forum discount we get its under $560 shipped to your door. Add in some Comp Springs for $200 if you go with the Stage 2's. PM 10" Terror for the discount code. He is the owner of CMS.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Hey guys I was looking into getting some cams for my stang. I was looking at these: Comp Cams Stage I Xtreme Energy XE262AH Mustang Camshafts (96-04 4.6L 2V) 102500 - Free Shipping!

My car is an 02 gt with a few bolt ons: bbk intake, summit racing offorad h-pipe, flowmaster 40s, and short throw shifter. It is my daily driver so I wanted a mild cam but I also want that nice cam idle. Are these cams good for daily driving with occasional stop and go traffic? Also do I need to replace the springs and do I need to buy any additional mods to support these cams?

Sorry I don't have that much knowledge when it comes to cams but I know a lot of you guys do.

Also if anyone knows an average price to install these that would be great.

Thanks in advance
I have the comp can 262's without upgraded valve springs and I daily drive my mustang. No loss of low end power and it picks up nicely above 3500 Rpm. It has a nice idle and is forgiving to drive. My stick car didn't require a tune for the car to run. I would definitely recommend these cams for daily driving use.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really appreciate everyones input. Im going to stick with the 262s but still deciding whether to go with performance upgrades or suspension very tough decision lol

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Really appreciate everyones input. Im going to stick with the 262s but still deciding whether to go with performance upgrades or suspension very tough decision lol
I would go for suspension modifications, unless of course you see a good deal in the classifieds for a throttle body plenum combo.

Also if you're having someone install them it isn't a bad idea to throw in the valve springs too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You shouldn't have posted that vid now I want cams even more lol :facepalm:. But anyway yea im going with Bilstein HD shocks and struts to go along with my H&R lowering springs. By the way how do you like your bassani x-pipe?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
You shouldn't have posted that vid now I want cams even more lol :facepalm:. But anyway yea im going with Bilstein HD shocks and struts to go along with my H&R lowering springs. By the way how do you like your bassani x-pipe?
I tell ya, cams are actually one of my favorite mods to date. And as for bassani products. I love them. I have the mid length headers, 5 piece catted x pipe and ss catback.

All of which are modular so you have plenty of room for adjustments. Only pita is mounting the catback right

The 5 piece catted x comes with test pipes to make it an optional off road one. High quality stuff

That spring and strut combo sounds nice. Should be tight as a drum. I went with koni single adjustable and eibach pros for the smooth daily driving ride

1 - 17 of 17 Posts