Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed my cam and thrust plate and notice my cam has about 1/4 inch movement back and forth betweein rear freeze plug and thrust plate. Is this normal or am I missing a bushing or something?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
It won't have that movement once you bolt on the cam sprocket! The cam sprocket bolts up tight against your cam & limits the movement.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I threw the cam sprocket on and torqued to 45 ft lbs and now it only has just a tiny bit of movement, however it looks like my thrust plate has some wear on it so I'm just going to put a new thrust plate in then check the clearence. Probably just going to go with the melling oe replacement unless I hear otherwise...

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,965 Posts
No, get the frpp hardened unit. If your gear ate the stocker, then putting another stocker in will net the same result.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That frpp hardened plate says must use steel cam gear I already bought a cloyes street roller set with iron cam gear and steel crank gear and a melling thrust plate :( I'm guessing my old one was the original. Who knows.... my rotating assembly is done ill be picking it up from machine shop in morning id LOVE to start building it but if I have to order another timing set and thrust plate ill be patient

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
You will probably be fine with what you have. What else have you done to the block & rotating assembly?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts