Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was wondering if there were any "alternative" methods to installing a set of nsr stg II cams, as i can not get my hands on the spciality tools here in germany. the only tool i can get or any of the shops here have is the one where you have to pull the head off, and im not really down for that. i dont want to do this in some kind of rednecky fashion, but at the same time i really want to get them in. i look at them on my floor and just feel bad that im neglecting them heheehe!!.

·
Registered
335 Posts
You can do it without the spring compressor and only the wedge if you have this tool.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope, cant get any of the tools till i get back to the states, all i have are my regular tools and torgue wrenches

·
Registered
335 Posts
You def. need the wedge, think you can probably search for the tool and find one at a decent price. Or maybe one of the other members may help ya out by renting or something. Without the wedge you can not prevent the timing chains from slipping a tooth, and if it does your are fuxxed and have to then pull the front cover.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, crap. getting that stuff here is probably not going to happen. thanks though

·
Registered
123 Posts
hey cuartza, be patient and keep asking...

there are several guys on here that have done it
without the special tools....beefmobile, rakkassan etc.

even though i don't recommend doing it this way, i do
understand your situation.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
You can use just about anything to hold the timing chain. Many guys have use a piece of washing machine hose. One guy made his own wedge out of a piece of wood and a coat hanger. You just need something to keep the chain from slipping, it's just a wedge. It's like using a rock to block your tires instead of a tire chalk. Whatever you can find that will do the job of jamming up the chain will work just fine.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
washing machine hose?? ok, thats just cool! hehe

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yep that was me with the washing machine hose. A garden hose might work too they're the same size. I folded it in half and jammed it inbetween the timing chains same as you would the wedge. I had to put in phaser limiters so I ziptied the chain to the injector rail to hold it up while I put those in. If you don't feel safe with that just get a friend to hold the timing chain up and tight.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks man!! still cool with the hose hehe. by the way, i was "no slack" for about 6 years, i miss campbell

·
Registered
600 Posts
Rakkkassan guided me thru my install with my cams with the garden hose! **** works!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so just one more question, is it safe to put these cams in with a s/c @10psi

1 - 13 of 13 Posts