Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have very limited knowledge when it comes to the camshaft design as far as lift and duration and such. I know what they are and how the cam itself works, but my knowledge pretty much stops there. I just ordered my custom grind from cam motion today and he gave me the profile for the cam and it will be .554 and .525 for the int and exhaust. I'm just curious as to why such a difference in lift between the two. Anyone know for what reasons that would be?

·
all motor
576 Posts
I have very limited knowledge when it comes to the camshaft design as far as lift and duration and such. I know what they are and how the cam itself works, but my knowledge pretty much stops there. I just ordered my custom grind from cam motion today and he gave me the profile for the cam and it will be .554 and .525 for the int and exhaust. I'm just curious as to why such a difference in lift between the two. Anyone know for what reasons that would be?
that has to do with flow. the lift is how far open the valves are. this obviously was matched to heads/intake, and there coresponding cfm for premium flow. Also remember that an intake valve is larger than the exhaust too.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just wondering if that much of a difference sounds right, or if anyone has used a cam with profile differences close to mine. I get what you're saying about the intake valves being bigger and all, but I'm going by all the cam profiles I've seen before, usually no more than a .010 difference between the two. Maybe thats just because all the cams I've seen were off the shelf and not a custom. I'm only asking because it was like pulling teeth to get a cam out of these guys. They were short handed and it took me two days of calling and them calling me back to get it ordered and I'm hoping that along the way, my info didn't get screwed up. I'm just trying to make sure I don't get screwed.

·
all motor
576 Posts
u'll be more than pleased with cam motion. i have one of theirs as well and they're absolute pros.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually told him I wanted the engine to make its power on motor alone. I did tell him that I had nitrous but I stressed that thats not how I wanted the cam ground.

·
all motor
576 Posts
I actually told him I wanted the engine to make its power on motor alone. I did tell him that I had nitrous but I stressed that thats not how I wanted the cam ground.
post the specs on it do you have the specs? lobe separation, ........

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't have the exact specs, he told me over the phone and I was at work with no pen and paper at the time. I remember the lift .554 and .525 and the LSA was 112, dont remember the exact duration but I remember it being in the 220s @ .050.

I aslo told him this would be a street car. Doesn't the lift on that seem like it won't start making power until it gets up a little in RPM's?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I don't have the exact specs, he told me over the phone and I was at work with no pen and paper at the time. I remember the lift .554 and .525 and the LSA was 112, dont remember the exact duration but I remember it being in the 220s @ .050.

I aslo told him this would be a street car. Doesn't the lift on that seem like it won't start making power until it gets up a little in RPM's?
Mainly duration effects the effective RPM range, I thought it was a nitrous cam,sorry. duration in the 220s @.050 will make good low end power, and not be that lobey.

·
all motor
576 Posts
112 degree i think would show power peaks higher in the rpms. small angle lower end, wider angle higher end power is the rule of thumb i usually use

p.s. i think that cam will be nice for street and spray purposes. it gives you the duration for street but lift/angle for spray with option to degree your cam. hat sounds to me to be a nice setup, but i am far from advanced.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, thanks guys. Really all I was looking for was a little reassurance that that cam didn't look too funny, and if you think that cam looks allright, then he probably got my setup right and ground the right cam. I called twice today again to check and make sure and the guy I talked to was out to lunch and then busy with another customer and didn't call me back. I'm sure its too late now anyway, so I'll let you guys know if he ground it right when I get it running.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts