Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off im looking into doing a full PI swap, but from what i've been hearing the most HP gain comes from the PI cams and the PI intake. So with that said, if i just get some good cams (better than the PI cams) and the PI intake how would that fair against the standard complete PI swap? More specifically, how much does the actual PI heads add.

The next question is what is the difference between stage I and stage II cams. I first looked at American muscle and they only have 2 sets of cams that will fit my car. Comp Cams Stage I Xtreme Energy XE262AH Camshafts (96-04 4.6L 2V) and Comp Cams Stage II Xtreme Energy XE270AH Camshafts (96-04 4.6L 2V). Are these good cams or are they overpriced and i can get the same quality/better cams elsewhere? These are between $520-$600.

Thanks

·
Registered
575 Posts
I am a big fan of Hitech cams myself. they sound great and make about the best power with stock heads. if you do after market heads then cms are great cams.

with any stage 2 cam on a pi swapped motor you will have to machine your intake valves or buy new ones that have a thinner margin. or flycut the pistons.

my son and I just did a pi swap on his car with Hitech stage 2 cams and it made
300 rwhp 315tq

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So on stock heads, stage II would be better than stage I?

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
intake and cams are better all the way around compared to the npi. the pi and npi head difference, both have pro's and cons. the head mid lift airflow is a lot better on the pi head, but most power is made from the compression jump between the 2 heads.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So if i were to get cams/intake first can i use the same cams if i do the PI heads later when i get the money to do so?

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
yes. remember that the npi cams are different than the pi's. the npi's were not able to take a lot of lift in stock form. some minor mods will be needed to make them work. if going that far into working on the heads just to run desired cams, it would be better off to do the pi's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts