Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Yes and No. Yes if you want to gain the most out of the cam but these cams will work without a tune. I am not sure how much hp/tq you will pick up with a tune but you will pick up a few. Now regarding dyno vs email, I dynoed my car back to back with my dyno tune and my American Muscle tune. The numbers were nearly the same. In fact the email tune dynoed about .3 hp and .2 tq higher than my dyno tune.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes and No. Yes if you want to gain the most out of the cam but these cams will work without a tune. I am not sure how much hp/tq you will pick up with a tune but you will pick up a few. Now regarding dyno vs email, I dynoed my car back to back with my dyno tune and my American Muscle tune. The numbers were nearly the same. In fact the email tune dynoed about .3 hp and .2 tq higher than my email tune.
the email tune dynoed about .3 hp and .2 tq higher than my email tune. Did you mean your dyno tune was .3hp and .2 tq higher than your email tune or vice-versa?

·
Registered
623 Posts
A retune is not required with those cams. Will you gain with a dyno tune ? Maybe a little more hp. Does it justify the cost of dyno tune ? Probably not. I wouldn't do more than an email tune if any.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
the email tune dynoed about .3 hp and .2 tq higher than my email tune. Did you mean your dyno tune was .3hp and .2 tq higher than your email tune or vice-versa?
Good catch. The email dynoed .3 hp/.2 tq higher than the dyno tune.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I ran Eric Brooks tune that was not even tuned for the cams for a few days until American Muscle sent me a revised tune. The car ran fine without the tune for the cams.

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
I've been running my NSR's without a tune for months now. Idle was a little rough the first few times, but the car adjusted itself and I have no issues. There is not a whole lot to adjust for mild cams, maybe a little bit on the cam timing. Ignition timing and fuel should not need any tweaking (except for maybe idle properties). Yes your taking in more A/F but, as you take in more air, the fuel should adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
About 10-15 RWHP and maybe a loss of 3-5 tq. Adding delete plates helps. With the addition delete plates I gained about 20 RWHP and 5 RWTQ.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
What numbers are you seeing overall including your other mods?
I was at 326.22 RWHP hp and 321.09 tq on a SAE dyno. The conditions air was fairly cool at 64.

I also dynoed at a different dyno that had STD correction and I dynoed
321 hp/ 317tq. The temp was about 80 that day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts