Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my timing chain on and all that today, went to go turn the crank and its hitting something. but thats with stock timing, which i was told stock timing would work fine. the pass. side is hitting, i havent even put the drivers side followers back on but that side probably will too. after i find out the intake center, can i just adjust the gears or do i have to file away the keyway? is there any other way to do this besides degreeing the cams?

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
should just have three positions to line up, one on each cam and one for the crank, get those three in postion and set it and lock it

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well its set to stock timing right now but one of the valves hits, so i dont know if the custom grind is wrong or if im doing something wrong
can i advance or retard the cam gear teeth on the chain or should i try to keep it on stock timing as much as possible?

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what size of cams? sure they are on the right side?
i was actually just looking at that.
because one of the valves is basically opening while the piston is coming up. so that really wouldnt make sense for my timing to be THAT far off. that would just **** everything else up. so it may sound like im stupid.. which i guess if i did that i probably am lol but im gunna switch them around today and see how that is.
thanks

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
i was actually just looking at that.
because one of the valves is basically opening while the piston is coming up. so that really wouldnt make sense for my timing to be THAT far off. that would just **** everything else up. so it may sound like im stupid.. which i guess if i did that i probably am lol but im gunna switch them around today and see how that is.
thanks
actually, the intake valve starts to open before the piston hits tdc, and exh valve is not quite on it's seat yet, this is where interference happens the most. it also happens when the valve accelerates faster than piston

·
Boost gets you laid
2,625 Posts
also make sure you have your cam gears on the proper sides. they are side specific.. i'm worried about my **** working right too.. i might have to spend a bunch of money on the proper tools before i get it done right.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
didnt another member put the cams in backwards? LOL.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
you can tell because they wont line up correctly

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah i switched them over and the valves totally didnt line up with the cam lobes

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
i thought you were just driving this car. You tore it back down?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts