Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so pretty serious about getting a turbo right now for graduation and all and i keep hearing yall say "whyd you get the lumpy cam if your going to get a turbo" and what i want to know is why that is so bad? whats going to happen if say i get a turbo kit slap it on and keep that cam?? and call me stupid i just dont see why its such a big deal lol... please explain cause i cant afford to have a blown motor when im about to go to college

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a job and I know how to save my money for what i want.. and of course i want the answer bro why else would i have asked

·
V6 BIOTCH
6,945 Posts
Ok

Well my first advice to you, should have been, probably was, will be, and im sure others said it too; plan what you want your car to be and buy what oyu need to follow that plan.

Mustang V6 Auto.
Mods include: CAI, LT'S, TRUE DUAL EXHAUST WITH TWO CUSTOM MADE H-PIPES AND NO CATS (MAGNAFLOW), SCT CHIP WITH 93 RACE TUNE, T-LOK, 4:10 GEARS.
BEING INSTALLED NEXT WEEK IS THE LUMPY CAM FROM SUPERSIXMOTORSPORTS

^^^^
This = shitty set up to try and turbo.
Exhuast is completely wrong, need a tuner not chip, 4.10 gears are a little low for boost; will want to go down to 373 or 355, cam is specced for N/A. Wouldnt make sense to run that cam with boost.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok and what would happen if i did run that cam with a turbo? i can see maybe i wouldnt see the hp gains i could see with another cam but would it be harmful to the motor?...and if im not mistaken the exhaust comes with the turbo kit for a little extra... i figure i can sell my headers for some extra cash and if i realllly needed to i would just put the stock cam back in and sell the one in there now....and yes i expect to get it tuned of course if i put a turbo on

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
I think you need a 100% stock car, because you can't keep one with no power on the road according to you.

Anyway, you can keep the lumpy cam it prob wont help performance and it prob won't hurt much either. Engine suffering is from other stupidity, and if you want to drive an hour and 30min I know a guy who can put your car together and it will run right the first time *cough*

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
lumpy cam has a tighter LSA IIRC. That leads to higher cylinder pressures as is, and it has more valve overlap. I do believe it will put more stress on the engine, just like my cam did with the supercharger. But it never ran right and still didn't blow. and if you can't afford a blown engine or other broken parts, don't mod it especially FI. just save until you have enough $ for a backup.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
sell the lumpy cam and buy a turbo cam. yes you can run the lumpy cam you just wont get the real benefits that a performance cam should give. it makes alot more sense to get a turbo specific cam.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
lumpy cam has a tighter LSA IIRC. That leads to higher cylinder pressures as is, and it has more valve overlap. I do believe it will put more stress on the engine, just like my cam did with the supercharger. But it never ran right and still didn't blow. and if you can't afford a blown engine or other broken parts, don't mod it especially FI. just save until you have enough $ for a backup.
If I'm not mistaken, a "lumpy" cam does have a tighter LSA, but this actually decreases the dynamic in cylinder pressure. With more overlap, there's more of an opportunity for the intake charge to leave through the exhaust ports. This is what kills the vacuum on your car, which acts just like a vacuum leak, and gives you the characteristic lope. This increased overlap helps with scavenging and flow, but mainly at much higher RPM's.

And if you're going turbo, keep in mind NA cams are NOT turbo cams. They are closer than supercharger cams are to turbo, but they are not the same. FI cams will tend to have a longer exhaust duration than intake, because they don't need any help bringing the intake charge in due to boost. However they will have the same high speed characteristics as turbo cams, as both NA and turbo like to live on the high end.

But beside the tech writeup, I highly suggest planning out a build rather than "slapping things together." I also do not advise getting cams solely for the purpose of a "lumpy" exhaust. Granted I'm putting in a set of FR500's in mine, but I'm trying to make the motor more blower friendly, and wring out a few extra ponies. The key is it was thoroughly planned and researched.

Hope that helps a little.

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, a "lumpy" cam does have a tighter LSA, but this actually decreases the dynamic in cylinder pressure. With more overlap, there's more of an opportunity for the intake charge to leave through the exhaust ports. This is what kills the vacuum on your car, which acts just like a vacuum leak, and gives you the characteristic lope. This increased overlap helps with scavenging and flow, but mainly at much higher RPM's.

And if you're going turbo, keep in mind NA cams are NOT turbo cams. They are closer than supercharger cams are to turbo, but they are not the same. FI cams will tend to have a longer exhaust duration than intake, because they don't need any help bringing the intake charge in due to boost. However they will have the same high speed characteristics as turbo cams, as both NA and turbo like to live on the high end.

But beside the tech writeup, I highly suggest planning out a build rather than "slapping things together." I also do not advise getting cams solely for the purpose of a "lumpy" exhaust. Granted I'm putting in a set of FR500's in mine, but I'm trying to make the motor more blower friendly, and wring out a few extra ponies. The key is it was thoroughly planned and researched.

Hope that helps a little.
Sometimes turbo cams end up having a longer intake duration than the exhaust.... For example the 3.8 intense racing cams (GM v6) 214/206 on a 116lsa

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Sometimes turbo cams end up having a longer intake duration than the exhaust.... For example the 3.8 intense racing cams (GM v6) 214/206 on a 116lsa
Well that's speaking in general cam sense. Cams vary dramatically by application and motor. Every motor has a different intake and exhaust system, and thus the duration, lift and LSA must be adjusted accordingly.

And 116LSA seems pretty wide for a turbo, if anything that looks like a positive displacement supercharger cam. Is that for the same 3800 V6 they used the Eaton M90 on?

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
Well that's speaking in general cam sense. Cams vary dramatically by application and motor. Every motor has a different intake and exhaust system, and thus the duration, lift and LSA must be adjusted accordingly.

And 116LSA seems pretty wide for a turbo, if anything that looks like a positive displacement supercharger cam. Is that for the same 3800 V6 they used the Eaton M90 on?

It is indeed that car, have you ever seen a stock buick GN cam? 107 lsa....

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
It is indeed that car, have you ever seen a stock buick GN cam? 107 lsa....
As in the old turbo GN's? That LSA makes sense on them, turbo's and NA tend to be tighter LSA.

The FR500 cam's are 109LSA (if you install them NA) and they're pretty mild.
Personally I'm installing mine at 114LSA to work better with the Eaton M112. I'm still undecided as to what advance I'll run on them, either +0, +2, or +4.

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
As in the old turbo GN's? That LSA makes sense on them, turbo's and NA tend to be tighter LSA.

The FR500 cam's are 109LSA (if you install them NA) and they're pretty mild.
Personally I'm installing mine at 114LSA to work better with the Eaton M112. I'm still undecided as to what advance I'll run on them, either +0, +2, or +4.

Most of the turbo cams I know are on a 112-114, I don't know any that tight (talking about street cars here) , but the good thing about boost is you can always turn it up and compensate!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well to change the timing on the cam to go with the turbo would they just do that when i got it tuned? or would that be something id have to do myself?
ive been talking to andy from tma and i think im ready to order my kit!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
extremley worried about the cam not working too good with the turbo issue though...might be the biggest mistake ive made on my car yet lol

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
Buy a new cam, or deal with that cam.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts