Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
SpamBOT
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting together a splitport/windstar swap for my 96 and have a few technical questions. Going with 24# injectors, f150 fuel rail, windstar intake, 99 heads/TB/lower intake.

If I put a cam with .5 lift and 210/226 duration in with the swap will I need to upgrade any of the stock valvetrain components?

Is there anyone other than VAP who carries a TB spacer that is angled?

I am a Bama Performance member so I get lifetime retunes free on my car. Do you think they could retune my chip to work with the split port heads, windstar intake and the cam mentioned above? If not what about without the cam?

Thanks in advance! :)

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
The cams they might

03cristian

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I am getting together a splitport/windstar swap for my 96 and have a few technical questions. Going with 24# injectors, f150 fuel rail, windstar intake, 99 heads/TB/lower intake.

If I put a cam with .5 lift and 210/226 duration in with the swap will I need to upgrade any of the stock valvetrain components?

Is there anyone other than VAP who carries a TB spacer that is angled?

I am a Bama Performance member so I get lifetime retunes free on my car. Do you think they could retune my chip to work with the split port heads, windstar intake and the cam mentioned above? If not what about without the cam?

Thanks in advance! :)
I would recommend upgrading the valvetrain regardless of the cam just for reliabillity. The angled spacer I have not seen anyone else produce it, I bought my kit from steven. And the tune, Bama should be able to re tune it for you no problem cam or no cam, I am also a free tunes member.

·
SpamBOT
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would recommend upgrading the valvetrain regardless of the cam just for reliabillity. The angled spacer I have not seen anyone else produce it, I bought my kit from steven. And the tune, Bama should be able to re tune it for you no problem cam or no cam, I am also a free tunes member.
Really appreciate the fast reponse guys! Should I get just lifters should I get springs too?

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
This sounds like an awesome build SixShooter! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing some finished pictures of your project. I definitely agree with everyone above! If you're going to throw a set of cams in there, I would recommend upgrading the valvetrain (Springs, Lifters etc..)

I always believed in doing it right instead of doing it twice!

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions! Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan

·
Fee Fie Foe Fum
1,724 Posts
Springs are more needed than lifters...dan when is AM gonna start.selling a windstar kit like vap auto did... I cant believe somebody hasnt jumped on this considering how many they could sell..

·
2013 5.0
2,983 Posts
Springs are more needed than lifters...dan when is AM gonna start.selling a windstar kit like vap auto did... I cant believe somebody hasnt jumped on this considering how many they could sell..
It's simply not an economical thing to produce. The cheapest I was able to build my own kit for was ~$150. That doesn't count what shipping would be nor labor... And that was a garage hack job. Anything with fabrication would add ~50-100$

It's not something worth the extra 20-25 hp max that it would be adding (and yes, I'm being very generous.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I put a similar cam in my 96, used ls6 springs and stock pushrods. Measure your pushrods and make sure they are the right length. Mine lasted about 45 miles then dropped a valve. Coulda just been weak valves but just make sure you have the right length pushrods.

·
SpamBOT
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I put a similar cam in my 96, used ls6 springs and stock pushrods. Measure your pushrods and make sure they are the right length. Mine lasted about 45 miles then dropped a valve. Coulda just been weak valves but just make sure you have the right length pushrods.
why ls6 springs? is that possibly why it dropped it? the springs?

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
Because its a huge pain in the ass to sell them. You have to send someone out hunting for the used parts that can no longer be bought new from ford. Yes even things such as the bolts in the kit come off a minivan. Then you run into the problems that its very labour intensive to clean the intakes and modify them for use on a mustang. And I'm sure Stephen had some kind of protection on his design for the throttle body arm and such.

I would be very surprised if anyone ever produces the windstar kit again let along any new aftermarket parts specifically for the new edge V6 mustang. The money simple isn't there too be made when compared to making v8 parts.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts

·
SpamBOT
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To handle the lift of the cam...
did some digging and found out whats better about them. the yellows should more than handle it. add gt retainers and new locks and I should be fine. thanks a ton those springs will save me alot as itll cost me half of what it did.

I want 24# injectors but would you guys say 21# injectors are fine for this setup. will eventually invest in longtubes and a fuel pump if that makes a difference

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
I want 24# injectors but would you guys say 21# injectors are fine for this setup. will eventually invest in longtubes and a fuel pump if that makes a difference
Either 21# or 24# injectors will be fine here.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Yea I was going to tell you to get stronger retainers and locks cause the stock ones are garbage.

I did cobra injectors. Go bigger and never worry about it... lean=boom. And the boost always seems to just keep on creeping up cause you always just want that one more pound of boost haha

·
SpamBOT
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea I was going to tell you to get stronger retainers and locks cause the stock ones are garbage.

I did cobra injectors. Go bigger and never worry about it... lean=boom. And the boost always seems to just keep on creeping up cause you always just want that one more pound of boost haha
my power adder is just nitrous wet kit for now but if i go turbo ill definately get bigger injectors.

and the stock gt retainers are garbage you say? or the stock v6? i was gonna get aftermarket retainers and locks anyways. i dont like trusting used worn parts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I hear the gt retainers are pretty strong. The stock v6 ones are garbage. I hear the valves are weak too, are you getting some better valves? My valve snapped clean in the stem and others were on their way.

Ohhh got ya, overlooked the nitrous not boost part if it was said earlier.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts