Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have been slowly aqcuiring parts for my summer build up. I have 3.73s, t lok, bearing kit, I am gonna purchase a windstar intake kit in march, and then I am looking to get a reground cam. My question is where are some good places to get springs? And I was looking on ssms and they say something about longer pushrods if i do not have adjustable rockers, which i do not since mine are stock. Lastly if i do all of that would I be able to tune it using emailed datalogs, and get pretty good results. Would i need a wideband a/f gauge hooked up or no? My other mods are all in my sig. thanks guys. Oh and lastly if I were to maybe get nitrous but not have it when I first get the cam should i get the cam just specced for na? thanks

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pm sent. ok as for the other questions, how do i know which pushrods to get, i don't want to spend the money for the measuring thing from ssms. and then which cam should i get if i plan on using nitrous and or a centir s/c? jc. or would it not matter, i heard that s/c cams are similar to na ones.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is there anyway i could make the tool myself? i dont want to spend the 38 bucks or wutever it is? does anyone have a pic of it so i could see if i could make it?

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
make it? its a very precise measuring tool....like i think it measures to .01 of an inch...thats not something i'd really chance

for instance...i tell people this all the time...i had a customer turn down a brand new caliper over a used one because it saved him like $8...he was working on it for someone else....the used one was bad, leaked, and not refundable. so he wasted $40 already. his customer he did the job for b!tched at him...he came to me crying for the caliper. paided the $47.99 for the new one...now he's spent $88 instead of $47.99...had to do the job free and waste another 2-3hours doing it.

now with something MORE critical like a push rod...say the push rod is too long that you're are going to have to guess on because theres really no way to make the tool with scrap. its as little as maybe .2 off. 2tenths of an inch bigger...now the cam you pick maybe has a big lift. and your PTV is only .2-3....your valve hits the piston. your going to ruin the head with out a doubt. the push rod will be broken, the piston will not be reusable after that carnage and if you're luck the cylinder wont be scored....if it is then you need a new block anyway even if you wanted to just put a stroker in it.
$300+ on the new motor. 10hours or more of work easy not to mention another $100+ in misc parts like oil, antifreeze.
you'll still have the wrong push rods so you have to spend $40 for the check then another ww/e $80 for the push rod on top of all the other bills from the motor and all that pile up...

your car is now out for probably a week or longer. easily unless you just run the stock motor.

understand my point?
so its like this
$40 or chance and possibly $300+ motor-$100 in parts-10+hours of self labor. a week+ with no car.

it doesnt weigh the same

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, well i understand the precision thing, but i did not think that they were that precise of a tool. Ok, well could you post a pic, I currently in an engine rebuilding class, and I maybe will ask my teacher if we have one, and that way i can kind of describe it to him.

also how would the datalogging work as far as tuning my car, with a cam?

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
well dont know about all that &^%*#@.here's a pic of adjustable push rod . rotate your cam t'ill u r on heal.install lifter, adjustable push rod ,and rocker. adjust push rod untill your rocker is center of valve tip.(if to long it'll be past center)then remove and messure with a dial caliper.thats your length. if hyd non adjtable lifter ad .050 to lenght for preload.to much preload will not allow your valve to close completely.nothing to do with piston to valve. thats a differant messurment. .100 is hunderd thou .050 is fifty thou .001 one thou .0002 two tenths of .001 thou average pice of paper .003/.005 thou. most push rods come in .050 incurements 8.150 0r 8.200 ect.. or special order

ps you can have this one

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, so from what i am understanding what you are saying above. ok first i rotate cam until the lobes are pointing away from the particular valve i am on. then i install the lifter then the adjustable pushrod. Then the rocker arm. If my hydraulic lifter is not adjustable ad .050 to whatever i get. OK then I adjust the adjustable lifter until the rocker arm is on the center of the valve. then remove the rocker arm and adjustable pushrod. Then i measure the adjustable pushrod and record? then just order according to that size? and really on the
ps you can have this one
how much? let me know if u want me to pm u about it?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh, and do you guys know about the datalogging? i am really curious as to if that would work, and if it would be a good tune that would make good power?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts