Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the best cam for a street car. i dont wanna have to program the computer but i also want some decent hp gains. any help appreciated

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The Racer Walsh Stage 1 roller cam (Elgin cams sells the same grind for less) is about as far as you can go without ruining the idle and drivability of your car. You should know this as well, in order to make more power, your engine will require more fuel, and there really just isn’t a way around this on a fuel injected car, except to increase the injector size. The stock 14-16 pound per hour injectors will limit HP to roughly 115-120 HP. A good figure to use is to calculate ½ pound of fuel for every HP that your engine makes for an hour. The Stage 1 cam with 10.0:1 compression and a decent exhaust system will yield about 145-155 HP from a 2.3L engine and will need at least 24 lb. per hour injectors to supply an adequate amount of fuel.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hey OHC, wont the stage 1 require new valve springs? I thought the common practice on these heads was "No more than .420" lift on stock springs" but that is just what i hear around these forums.

On a seperate note, How can i get ahold of elgin cams? I want to purchase an A-237 grind... But i'm at a loss of what i must do. since now that i have a bit of money to blow on my car, it finally seems like a good idea! lol. Also, What sort of exhaust do you have on your car? I know that you are a Cali emission rule abider, so you have cats, but what else? Would you mind maybe PMing me a pic? I am searching around for systems...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts