Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
nikon coolpix l810 any good? i know its not a dslr, im just lookin for a good camera to take some car pics. nothing too fancy. anyone used this camera before?

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
you should PM MikeSTUD, he has a Nikon D60 he is selling for around that price range, its a a seriously good deal and i wish i was getting it myself...but im buying a house so finances are going to be tight for awhile. DEFINITELY PM him, you would get a killer deal, comes with a lens i believe [email protected] Forums at Modded Mustangs - View Profile: MikeStud

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
I've had an 810 in my hands while looking for a P&S for the wife. My feedback is as follows:

Slow - I mean really slow in all facets, but writing the image to memory is crazy slow. Especially if you photograph something that has tricked the camera sensor.

Noisy in low light - to be expected you say? Not like this camera has it. Better off with a camera phone in my opinion. If I had full manual control I could net better images but this thing is really a Auto camera. Flash is mandatory in all low light situations. There is a sort of mixed manual auto mode that allows some control, but it meters only in the center of the frame. Not a good thing if you want exposure control to the whole frame.

Lastly - takes forever to latch it's focus. I'll admit I'm spoiled by my DSLR's but my Iphone out performs focus capabilities of this thing.

I'd walk away. Used gear is an option or opening up to slightly higher price point in the P&S offerings.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had an 810 in my hands while looking for a P&S for the wife. My feedback is as follows:

Slow - I mean really slow in all facets, but writing the image to memory is crazy slow. Especially if you photograph something that has tricked the camera sensor.

Noisy in low light - to be expected you say? Not like this camera has it. Better off with a camera phone in my opinion. If I had full manual control I could net better images but this thing is really a Auto camera. Flash is mandatory in all low light situations. There is a sort of mixed manual auto mode that allows some control, but it meters only in the center of the frame. Not a good thing if you want exposure control to the whole frame.

Lastly - takes forever to latch it's focus. I'll admit I'm spoiled by my DSLR's but my Iphone out performs focus capabilities of this thing.

I'd walk away. Used gear is an option or opening up to slightly higher price point in the P&S offerings.

thanks for the insight man, i really appreciate it. Ill keep lookin around. Any camera that you would recommend for a beginner on a tight budget?

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
To be honest, I would buy used DSLR 40d, 50d. See how well you adapt and like it. If it's not for you the money can be earned back via selling with minimal loss. Where as if you get into a new piece of gear, even if it's only been used for 5 minutes there is a steep decline in a used sale.

Nikon's can also be had in a used capacity. I'm not up to speed on their models anymore. The biggest difference between the two is the ergonomics of controls. I would highly suggest getting whatever models you decide to put on your search into your hands to see what's comfortable and go from there. Nikon locates controls very different from canon and visa-versa.

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
Go to Bestbuy, get your hands wrapped around some and see how they feel, then browse craigslist or photography forums.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts