Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right. It's Christmas time, and Santa has decided I may get more than a fantastic hummer for Xmas. (don't ask, it was a drunken milk and cookie episode gone horribly awry)

As a few of you know, I dropped and broke my Canon S5 IS. It won't zoom, and the IS is inoperable. They want a hundred and change to fix it. Which seems kind of silly to spend, seeing as you can practically buy an S5 IS for that.

So, my question is, should I just replace that S5, which has been treating me well, or purchase another camera?

I don't want SLR, since with one hand, the camera must be easy to grab out of the bag, turn on, zoom, and shoot, all while bouncing down the road in a tractor trailer.

This is one of my first interests. I'd appreciate opinions on this camera, and perhaps suggestions of another decent point and shoot.

My requirements are it must have IS, and it must have great optical zoom.

PowerShot SX20 IS Digital Camera

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
Get one of these S5's. They are awesome :rockon

;)

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Zip, I'm no point and shooter, you know this, but I saw one of these 20's in the store and gave it a once over. Coming from the DSLR driven mandatory world I live in, the camera has plenty to offer but my brain sticks with the negatives.

The negs first:

Felt chinsy, plastic like. Again, my DSLR's have been metal cased so I'm spoiled.

Maximum ap value at full zoom was 5.7 this would handicap me.

Kinda loud when you activate shutter, but I believe you can make it shoot silent.

flip out screen, made no sense, just shoulda left it as a hard mounted LCD.

Struggled to select autofocus point in low light, I'd like to see it in use outside of the store to better see what is happening.

Positives:

Video, nice to have. Won't get used much in my hands, but I see how it would be beneficial to have.

Modes, lots of selectable modes packed into this camera, good for a trucker.

Price, not bad considering all the items it has.

Live view on the lcd, even though I hate the flip feature, using the screen as the view finder for video is sweet.

IS, was amazed at how well it worked. Very impressed with it on this camera.

I got all of that from about 15 minutes of store doodling. I don't think there is much out there that trumps it honestly, but again, I don't use the P&S type cameras nor do I claim to be a resource. When toying around, this was the first that I said - "only needs a few more things and 2 or 3 changes in design".

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
Sorry Rick; I'm not camera expert :(

Just know some tiny differences between some here and there :(

Wish I could help more :sorry

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
Damn. 70 views and two replies. I thought we had a lot of photography nuts on here. lol

Ah well.
Well a lot of us that are into photography don't have any experience with P&S cameras. I wouldn't want to try to steer you one way or another without having ever used that camera.

I think your best bet in this case is to go play with some in the store, them come home and do some digging online about the models you are interested in, and find out what people think of them, find some pictures taken by them, ect...

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah but I want answers and I want them NOW, dammit!

:lmao

p.s. Xmas is cumming quick :shiftyeyes

hint

nudge

wink

·
Tree Fiddy Z
2,040 Posts
Sony - Cyber-shot 10.1-Megapixel Digital Camera - Black - DSC-H20/B

I've been looking at this one for an xmas present to myself. I'm like you zip...not an SLR kind of guy. However, this one is more then just a point and shoot. It has SLR tendencies. For example, a better flash. 20 x's zoom. The zoom is SO good on this thing the best buy guy from one side of the store zoomed in on the inventory boxes on the other side...and I could make out what it said. RIDICULOUS. You can quick shoot (shoot multiple shots) very quickly unlike other Point And Shoots. Records videos in HD (720p). Take a look at it. It is 10 mega pixels. The one that's $30 less has 12. But I don't think that will matter unless you are putting a pic of my dong as a poster on your wall. And the 12 mp one doesn't have the same features as this one.

·
MM's Coffee Addict
2,162 Posts
:hug:dunno:hug

Have no idea about cameras other than I'd love a great one but spend all my $$ on obtaining Terminator power levels. But, I'll continue spying on threads like these to gain valuable insight from those that use cameras better than my $100 point and shoot :D and when the time comes and funds allow I'll be a better customer for it, and hopefully end up with a camera that suits all my non-skilled needs.

PS, Merry Christmas Zip. Haven't been on here much of late. But a Merry Xmas from a drizzly Seattle waterfront.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts