Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im debating whether or not i want to cam my 02 v6 mustang. is it worth it to cam my car if i dont do heads and lower intake at the same time? i mostly want it for sound but the performance is an added bonus. im thinking about a duration of 218/224. what do you guys think? and about how long is the install? because im gonna have to pay to get it done. and do i just need springs and retainers?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
he's cammed lol

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
if you gonna pay for a cam, pay to get head work and do a windsor swap man its a lot more worth it in the long run

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you gonna pay for a cam, pay to get head work and do a windsor swap man its a lot more worth it in the long run
well im already putting a ported upper, intake spacer, and 65m throttle body on so the windstar is out of the question. as for heads, i want the best, so when i get the money, im gonna go with the big valve heads. but for now just the cam.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
yeah but he's also got heads and intakes. im just wondering if its worth it to just cam it. and about how long it would take? i heard the heads dont have to be removed to install just the cam.
if you get a big enough cam you will
you might need head work as it is

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
well im already putting a ported upper, intake spacer, and 65m throttle body on so the windstar is out of the question. as for heads, i want the best, so when i get the money, im gonna go with the big valve heads. but for now just the cam.
wait if your doing that stuff no need to break into the motor twice, and do the windosr swap over the port it flows better

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
well is a 218/224 duration cam too big?
dont just pick a duration figure out what all your going to do and pick a cam to maximize power of your mods

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alright so whats the best for me to get as of now? how long does the install take? do i have to remove the heads? im gonna have to pay for installation so i need to see how many hours it takes.

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
imo 218/224 pretty extreme for not doing any other work

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
alright so whats the best for me to get as of now? how long does the install take? do i have to remove the heads? im gonna have to pay for installation so i need to see how many hours it takes.
you need to removed the upper and lower intake...might as well get a ported lower.i hate doing jobs twice..unless its my car cause its just pure enjoyment:D

valve covers
power sterring pump
alt,
the brack that hold both
the a/c compressor and bracket
timing cover
which will include your oil pump and water pump
then your finally there
you'll have to remove the sprockets and slide them out equally, thats what i did
also dont forget to COMPLETEY drain the motor of coolant..:)

·
Registered
300 Posts
I could always drive to you! Road trip ftw! haha.
Lol, stop by on vacation time.

don't cam it to make it sound like a beast and then it not be a beast. =[ you'll crave more power if you go modding.. A cam almost gets wasted if it's not the last thing you add on, since it's built for your set-up unless you know exactly what you wanna do in the future.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
Removal

1. Remove the valve tappets.
  2. Remove the timing chain.

1. Position the wire harness aside.

1. Remove the radiator fan and shroud assembly.

1. Remove the engine balance shaft drive gear from the camshaft.
1Remove the camshaft key. 2Remove the engine balance shaft drive gear.

1. Remove the camshaft.
1Remove the bolts.2Remove the camshaft thrust plate.3Remove the spacer. 4Remove the camshaft.
Installation

1. NOTE: Lubricate the camshaft with Super Premium SAE 5W30 Motor Oil XO-5W30-QSP or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C153-G prior to installation. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so how many hours of installation would i be charged? 5hours? i do know my future plans for the car. they include h/c/i. already have the bolt-ons. torque converter. and eventually an intercooled procharger.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts