Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed the stage II thumpers. Kinda have mixed emotions about them right now. I was hoping you guys could help me out with some questions about a few things.
I have an email tune from bama and i know I'll probably have to have him do some adustments yet. Here are my issues I knew it would be a little louder exhaust note then it was before but its almost unbearable now do these cams effect the exhaust note that much? Also I would have a little gassy smell from the exhaust before from the off road h pipe but that has now doubled if not more then that. I also have the idle issue where its jumping from 550 to 900 when coming up to a stop, and will studder or bog when idling and i go to rev it up. Also i have to rev up to around 1500 and feather the clutch out to getting going from a stop or it bucks pretty bad. Could these issues be fixed threw the tune?
Other then that its a little more aggressive cam then i thought it would be. No one around where i live has cams so i have never heard a 3v in person with cams, just on the interenet. I'm almost wishing i would have just went with the hot rods. The other kicker is I have only drove it for maybe 20-30 minutes since i just lost my license yesterday because of a dui i got a few months back. I just want to get it running right before its in storage for the winter.
Any suggestions will help.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
You pretty much need a competent tuner hands on with your car after a cam install. You might get a decent base file from a good tuner via email, but you really should consider taking the car to a good tuner. About the exhaust being louder, that's normal when the valves stay open even just a little longer than the stock cams. Once you get a good tune you'll be happier.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Your drivability will improve with a good tune but those stage 2 thumpers hit very hard and are LOUD with an o/r exhaust, I think they are louder than my stage 2 SPRs.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I agree with anthony05gt. The sound and smell come along with the cams, the issues with idle and surging can be worked out with a good tuner. Bama can do it but it is hard for them to do with out the car being there.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
The smell is also a byproduct of your tune being way off.

·
Registered
287 Posts
08gogt Ihave The Same Mods You Have But I Also Have The Delete Plates And Pullys. I Also Have The Exact Same Problem You Have With The Idle Surging. And Driveability. It Is Something You Will Get Used To. Listen To The Guys On This Site They Will Give You The Best Info. I Have My Idle At 1000 It Helps Some. But Like All Agree Get A Good Dyno Tune That Is The Key. If You Get A P0300 Code Its Randem Misfire This Also Could Be From The Cams. The Biggest Thing Is For You To Not Get Discouraged. I Would Never Remove My Thumprs I Just Love The Sound To Much. Remember A Good Dyno Tune Will Help Big Time. That Will Be My Next Move.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
The smell is also a byproduct of your tune being way off.
the smells coming from their name... thumper=overlap.... [email protected] with no cats to light it off=gas fumes. it will happen with the car sitting their idling completely stoich (IE perfect tune)

get used the the noxious smell, its on of the side effects of a wild cam.

throw some datalogs up, and I wouldnt get crazy with wot yet, I'll try to help

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Notice I said ''also''. A good tune will clear some of that up.

·
Registered
623 Posts
the smells coming from their name... thumper=overlap.... [email protected] with no cats to light it off=gas fumes. it will happen with the car sitting their idling completely stoich (IE perfect tune)

get used the the noxious smell, its on of the side effects of a wild cam.

throw some datalogs up, and I wouldnt get crazy with wot yet, I'll try to help
Yep ^^

Overlap
Overlap is the angle in crankshaft degrees that both the intake and exhaust valves are open. This occurs at the end of the exhaust stroke and the beginning of the intake stroke. Increasing lift duration and/or decreasing lobe separation increases overlap. At high engine speeds, overlap allows the rush of exhaust gasses out the exhaust valve to help pull the fresh air/fuel mixture into the cylinder through the intake valve. Increased engine speed enhances the effect. Therefore increasing overlap, increases top-end power and reduces low-speed power and idle quality.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thanks for all your replys, heres a video kinda crappy it was with my camera not a camcorder. I'm gonna send a email to bama to see if he can adjust my tune a little to see if it helps. I'm leaning more towards doing a dyno tune in the spring, it's not going to be drove much more this year putting it in storage soon. Woke up to 3 inches of snow on the ground this morning.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

theres the link for the video sorry dont know how to post it in the thread.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Yep ^^

Overlap
Overlap is the angle in crankshaft degrees that both the intake and exhaust valves are open. This occurs at the end of the exhaust stroke and the beginning of the intake stroke. Increasing lift duration and/or decreasing lobe separation increases overlap. At high engine speeds, overlap allows the rush of exhaust gasses out the exhaust valve to help pull the fresh air/fuel mixture into the cylinder through the intake valve. Increased engine speed enhances the effect. Therefore increasing overlap, increases top-end power and reduces low-speed power and idle quality.
exactly so you know exactly how that engine feels when it STRUGGLING to idle at 900rpms... exhaust gas is being reverted back into the intake for christ sake. the o2's are picking up a bunch of just straight raw unburned fuel thats been atmoized flying past the open exhaust valve. but damn do they scream when you get them on the meat

edit: thats a pretty wild sounding cam for short headers. long tubes are going to help it lean out a little and gain some low end power back if you install some

·
Registered
818 Posts
+1

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sounds awesome! I had the same concerns when I installed mine. It was alot louder and had the same wandering idle. Sometimes it would die at a stoplight. After about a week it cleared itself out and drives fine now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts