·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Most of the people will tell you Stage II SPR Comp Cams

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok well why is there the need for spring on some and none on others both stage I and stage II

and why is regearing recommended....i still dont understand that?

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
well usually when you go with a decent size cam you can loose some low end torque and the gears will mask that

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
Higher lift cams will require springs.

Gears will help you get into the power band where the cams are most usefull. Stock cams are usually tuned for all around use and Ford did a pretty good jo with ours. Anyways, when you usually make gains in one area you take away from other areas. So by moving up your power band you tend to move it higher up in the scale and need to get to there quickly to utilize it, thus the gears.

Don't just get the biggest baddest cams out there though. Ask yourself a few questions and they will help you choose the proper cam for your intended application.

Budget? Springs are an added cost in both materials and especially labor. But springs will allow the cam to do it's magic better.

What kind of driving is the car going to see and where do you want to see gains? Stage I's tend to boost the power band in the lower and middle parts of the RPM range, while stage II's tend to be more focused in peak gains in the upper RPM range. I went with stage I's because my car sees 2500 - 5000 RPM's all the time, all day. I do see 6500 rpms a lot but in the grand scheme of things it could be considered rare. So I wanted a set I could feel all of the time not just above 4800. It's a personal choice of driving style and habit that will help you make your choice there. Stage II & III's can be a bit rough driving it as a DD, especially those cams with a bunch of overlap. Rough idle and loss of manifold vacuum can be tough with a stick in bumper to bumper traffic.

Hit search and you will find the good & the bad of different cams and that will help you figure out what you need to get. For most around here I would suggest Comp NSR II's or BBR stage II's. But I really can't reccomend either without knowing what it is your looking for.

·
All sissies going to Hell!
5,818 Posts

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
What kind of driving is the car going to see and where do you want to see gains? Stage I's tend to boost the power band in the lower and middle parts of the RPM range, while stage II's tend to be more focused in peak gains in the upper RPM range. I went with stage I's because my car sees 2500 - 5000 RPM's all the time, all day. I do see 6500 rpms a lot but in the grand scheme of things it could be considered rare. So I wanted a set I could feel all of the time not just above 4800. It's a personal choice of driving style and habit that will help you make your choice there. Stage II & III's can be a bit rough driving it as a DD, especially those cams with a bunch of overlap. Rough idle and loss of manifold vacuum can be tough with a stick in bumper to bumper traffic.
I felt an increase in power from 3000rpm and up with the spr's....they have great midrange torque...ask anyone on here that has them

·
Registered
37 Posts
Comp spr stage 2 cams. I used lockouts due to the change in timing the pcm was seeing even when it was not commanded. 4.10s are a must with these cams. If I were to do it again, I would use 4.30s N/A. My car didnt seem hard to drive at all in bumper to bumper.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
I went to Brenspeed in IN. with a friend and he had the NSR
(No Springs Required) Stage-2 Comp Cams installed.

His car ran Great and had just a Hint of a Lope versus Stock Cams.

No big deal at all driving in traffic. I rode over 500 Miles in the car back to TN. with him.

His car ran Strong after the Cams and Mods were done !!!

Here is the Thread if you care to read it that I did on his install.

If you want to (Skip) all the Post up to the Real Post covering the Cams go to
Post #45.

BRENSPEED Experience Post 45 took place for tatonka & tigerhonaker ..W/PICS .. WOW - IMBOC

tigerhonaker

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
JPC has custom grinds machined by Comp.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I've got the Comp Cams SPRs and I'm very happy with them. They sound great, make excellent power and now I have upgraded springs, retainers and phasers. I don't have to worry about floating a valve and banging a piston or getting to aggressive of a tune and have major engine catastrophy. If your going to cam the car, then upgrade the valve train. If you go on Comp cams website they advertise 37rwhp with these cams. Bottom line, they're BADS ASS !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hmm...well maybe bang for the buck i should just bite the bullet and get some sqeeze:cool:

·
Registered
489 Posts
You can't fill up that bottle in the middle of the highway when that ricer wants to play with you. Go with cams and you won't be sorry.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts