Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know to much about the different types of cams. So what do most ppl run in SOHC GT's My neighbor has a foxbody w an E-cam?:dunno and im gonna be buying sum in the near future. So which is best if i want a pretty aggressive one but still wanna use as an everyday driver?

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
The E-Cam is one of the cams available from Ford Racing for the old 5.0L based motors. For our cars, there are several popular sets of cams. The biggest sellers are probably Comp Cams stage 1 (comp 262s) & 2 (comp 270s), CMS Stage 1 & 2, and Hitech Stage 2s.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do u have stage 1 or 2's?

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
I was just lookin at CMS website, and it says the difference for stage 1 and stage 2 cams are as follows:

Stage 1: 25-30rwhp, 2500-6000rpm, springs not required, noticeable idle, tune suggested

Stage 2: 30-35rwhp, 2800-6200rpm, springs required, aggressive idle, tune required

So its up to you if 5hp is worth changing the springs. Read up about it. Its a lot more expensive for springs and the extra work required is a bitch. Your choice. Im going with CMS stage 1's in the very near future

·
Registered
800 Posts
Will a email tune from Bama be good enough to use the stage 1's?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Bama/AM does not do e-mail tunes for cams

Trick Tuners does e-mail tunes for cams plus they are regular contributors to this very forum

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hi there, I currently have some anderson cams going in f-42's blower cams (very mild)..but I would check out MHS (modular head shop) i know that there stage 1's are almost like some companies stage 2's and work on the stock springs with a mild to rough idle and good street manners.

the thing is with our modular motors is that the wilder the idle the more low end tq we tend to lose.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
That's the right site for the CMS cams. The stage 1s are very close to the stage 2s in peak hp and would definitely benefit from having a complete custom tune, but I know plenty of people have ran them without one and not had any issues. We also get a 5% discount on the CMS site :)

As for the "MHS" cams, it's kinda the other way around, their cams all tend to be a little less aggressive than everyone elses if you are just looking at the "stage."

·
Registered
670 Posts
As for the "MHS" cams, it's kinda the other way around, their cams all tend to be a little less aggressive than everyone elses if you are just looking at the "stage."
Yeah, I have the mhs stage 3.5 and it has less duration than the comp stage 3, 238/235 compared to 242/246. One other difference is the mhs cams seem to have a lower intake centerline and lobe separation angle than most cams too.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
For a daily driver defintely stick to stage 1 or 2 cams.

I have the Comp Cams extreme energy stage 3's and there was a lot of work, parts and money involved. The car is not suited for daily driving unless you want to be driving a hot rod every day. To make it suitable for driving on the street the tuner set the idle at 1000 rpm and it still shakes the car a little when sitting still.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
For a daily driver defintely stick to stage 1 or 2 cams.

I have the Comp Cams extreme energy stage 3's and there was a lot of work, parts and money involved. The car is not suited for daily driving unless you want to be driving a hot rod every day. To make it suitable for driving on the street the tuner set the idle at 1000 rpm and it still shakes the car a little when sitting still.
do you know how much hurricane would charge for the install on cams alone?

·
Registered
705 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I have no idea, I don't take my car to them, I do mostly all of my own work, unless it has to do with welding or gears.
Gotcha. I'm 19 at home with my dad's tools so I can do minor stuff but nothing that might leave my car sitting apart. :/

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Gotcha. I'm 19 at home with my dad's tools so I can do minor stuff but nothing that might leave my car sitting apart. :/
lol, thats the best time to learn. While i was still at home thats al i would do. Now that i am at school (graduating next month) it is impossible to do that since i may leave myself stranded for a day or two...

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
lol, thats the best time to learn. While i was still at home thats al i would do. Now that i am at school (graduating next month) it is impossible to do that since i may leave myself stranded for a day or two...
I guess I failed to menchen I work full days monday wednesday Friday Saturday and have school on Tuesday's and Thursday's as well. Haha

·
Registered
340 Posts
around here...cams are about 650 to install...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts