Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Im pretty new here. My next mod is going to either be Cams or Longtubes. If Cams, then HiTech Stage 2 Cams. If Longtubes, then SLP or Hooker.

SLP and Hooker, with a shorty X pipe would run me about $1,000-$1,200. And me and my dad would do the install.

HiTech Stage 2 Cams would run me $600, and another $600 for labor. I dont yet trust myself cracking the motor open, plus my GT is a DD. So thats roughly the same as Longtubes.

But I was thinking, if Im going Longtubes, then Id love to do a UPR Chrome-Moly Tubular K-Member with Coilovers. Which is another $700. But I'm only 19, I dont make that great of money lol.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for the help guys - Shaun

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
cams gets my vote.... You might wanna first decide before cams though what your future plans are...

ex: if you planned on a blower later, then you may want to lean toward some cams that are going to work good with your blower. If you planned on staying n/a then get some that will benefit more for n/a. Feel me? Hell if you dont have many plans then id get some that lope their ass off like none other. LOL.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
yeah but if you have to choose.... Cams are also a "very cool factor". LT's dont play too much of a role.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the K Member would be UPR Chrome Moly with Coilovers. Thats $700. Then Longtubes, Id only get ones that have enough clearence to drop the tranny. That way, when it comes time to do a clutch, I dont have to drop the K Member, and loosen or take the headers off then drop the tranny. The extra $300-$500 for headers in my opinion is definatley worth it.

As far as cams, I definatley want HiTech 2's. But I dont know when I want to go SC route. Im definatley going to. But I still have 4 years left on my loan, and I dont want to be making heavy payments on a car with a blown motor. Although Id only aim for like 375-390rwhp untill I bought a forged shortblock.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
you can pull the trans with other headers. i only have to loosen pass side on my car. i have a qa1 k, and it makes a world of difference for headers as well.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
id go with the cams and you can do the installation it all you have to do is remove the timing chain cover and valve covers and you have full access to them the hardest part is degreeing them them id do it on the weekend start early saturday morning if you happen to not finish you have sunday you can do it in one day if you have all the parts and tools you need **** save that extra $700 that they would charge for the install and use it towards another mod

·
Registered
349 Posts
LT's kind of go with cams.
+1^ With just one but not both you'd still have power potential left on the table.

I think, however, the cams would probably give you more up-front then just the LT's. Maybe the best is what ^ suggested and do the Cams yourself, then put the $$ saved to the LT's in the future.

Anyone running Stage2's W/O headers?
How is it?

·
Registered
812 Posts
I just did SLP LT's on my car and My dad and I could not get them in and we had a car lift, 4-5 hours of work we gave up and brought it to have a family friends shop to finish it up, they had 17 hrs of labor and will never do headers on a mustang again lol, he only charged my $500 but it should have been about $900 in just labor, but I love the sound!

·
Registered
233 Posts
LT's first then cams, this way you will get the more out of the cams once they are installed. The best way I have found to do LTs is to remove the motor completely, but to each their own.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would stay away from slp headers. After dealing with them on my buddies 03 gt. They hang to low and the hit all the time plus should you ever want to pull the motor without removing the headers it will be a ton easier with other brands plus they don't seal worth a damn to the mid pipe. And hookers I'm not fan of cause I've seen to many sets rust thru even coated

I gave mac headers and gave had them for 7 years with no issues and have been off the car many times. And as far as removing the trans with them. It is doable but nit fun but if do get the kmember it's a snap to remove pass side header( takes less then 30 mins)

I would do mac headers n mid pipe and do cams just install them both yourself. You can find many write ups on how to install the cams, it's reall not hard.... With mac headers and doing install yourself it would cost the same for the cams, headers and mid pipe as will just for slp headers

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
^+1 the reason i have slp lt's is because i wanted my entire exhaust to be slp but blown2v is right when he stated "I would do mac headers n mid pipe and do cams just install them both yourself. You can find many write ups on how to install the cams, it's reall not hard....With mac headers and doing install yourself it would cost the same for the cams, headers and mid pipe as will just for slp headers"

·
Registered
233 Posts
ehh ..I have SLP LT's and they are fine. No problems here at all and its a lowered convertible, with the SLP Catted X Pipe. I kept the choice between Kooks and SLP (both are real good). I just decide to do SLP because I have the SLP LM2 cat back.
Have you looked into Kooks?

·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
CAMS FTW, Gotta have that lope!!! That cam duration :p

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
U are 19 and your going to Spend 1200 on headers. How about NO. Get some Mac's or BBK. the difference im sure is minimal in performance. Trust me, that other 500 or so can go towards something else. Get the best bang for your buck...

·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
Ya get cams but if you do the headers go with mac or bbk bro

1 - 20 of 42 Posts