Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's between comp 262ah and hitech stage 2s...I'm wanting a cam that has a good power increase at lower rpm too and I'm wanting a good lope.

I already have comp beehive valve springs installed from when I tried putting Cms stage 2s in my car but had ptv issues but really think it was an installing error that led to that but not really wanting to try them again cause I wanna know for sure that what I spend my money on will work this time...

Have any of you had issues installing hitechs with valve springs?? I have heard of people having ptv issues but I'm wondering if that's without them changing valve springs or if that would help my chances of not having ptv with these?

Anyone that has the comp 262ah cams were you happy with them?? Is the idle noticeable or can you even tell?

Thanks for any info and help

·
Registered
403 Posts
The comp 262 lope is noticeable, but it is very mild. If you want good power and a good lope, try the 270s

·
Registered
678 Posts
You don't have to notch the pistons for 270's but you will have to retard the cams a lot to get enough PTV clearence which will cost you a fair amount of torque. Personally I would go with MHS stage 2 cams over either of the above but if it as to be one of those two go with the 262's. I don't know of anyone having issues with those but I can't say the same for the Hitechs.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Anyone that has the comp 262ah cams were you happy with them?? Is the idle noticeable or can you even tell?

I just installed 262ah's and yes the idle is VERY noticeable. Its hard to describe but it doesn't really "lope" like some of the larger cams. Mostly just a really ruff idle if that makes any sense. My car is a lot louder at idle and sounds crisper when giving it a quick rev. My idle is set to around 780; anything lower it would die.

I went 262's because i've "over cammed" cars in the past which didn't give much performance at the track and made street driving horrible. Sometimes with cams; Less is More.

Give me about a month and I'll have the dyno results and track numbers for you.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
hey just so you know, any cam that will give you a decent lope (like the 270's) will rob you of low end power.... any cam will though.. cams are not made for low end really

·
Registered
134 Posts
hey just so you know, any cam that will give you a decent lope (like the 270's) will rob you of low end power.... any cam will though.. cams are not made for low end really

Exactly. Also you didn't mention gears and weight but you would probably want at least 4.10s and shed some weight with any cams that are called a stage 2. I would think that you would be shifting at 6500+rpms.

·
Registered
678 Posts
and retarding a cam like the comp 270's compounds the problem.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya my car has 4.10s in it now

Thanks 463..what all are your other mods?

I'll probley go with the 262s or call mhs I just haven't heard of anyone with these cams

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have the 262's in my car and really like them. The lope is noticable but not too much. The good thing about the 262's is you gain a little bit of low end torque and power vs the bigger cams and if your car is mainly a street driver then that is what you want with these 4.6 motors. A few years back Fast Fords did a write up comparing some cams and concluded that for a street car the 262's were their recommendation.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I went with stage I cams to avoid low end torque loss and PTV issues. The lope is caused by overlap which also causes a loss of low end torque. Retarding a large cam compounds the torque loss problem. A stage I cam will give you a good compromise between top end HP and low end TQ. Going up from there trades TQ for HP. Buy a cam based on your needs, not the sound. Form follows Function.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
It's between comp 262ah and hitech stage 2s...I'm wanting a cam that has a good power increase at lower rpm too and I'm wanting a good lope.

I already have comp beehive valve springs installed from when I tried putting Cms stage 2s in my car but had ptv issues but really think it was an installing error that led to that but not really wanting to try them again cause I wanna know for sure that what I spend my money on will work this time...

Have any of you had issues installing hitechs with valve springs?? I have heard of people having ptv issues but I'm wondering if that's without them changing valve springs or if that would help my chances of not having ptv with these?

That sentence right there rules out the hitechs. BTW, both of the cams you are thinking about are going have less PTV clearance at the advertised intake centerline than the cams you already tried to install. You need to figure out what you were doing wrong, otherwise you will most likely run into the same issue no matter what choice of cams

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ya my car has 4.10s in it now

Thanks 463..what all are your other mods?

I'll probley go with the 262s or call mhs I just haven't heard of anyone with these cams
3.73s
steeda U/D pullies
bbk shorties
bbk o/r x
magnapack catback

It dyno'd 265/305 with the stock catback.

My car is a bullitt so it has a bullitt intake.

It has ran low [email protected] on street tires at full weight before the cams. I'm hoping to go [email protected] with the cams and a good set of tires.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
my car with 262's

runs well too, best of a 12.7 NA, automatic.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Unless you're racing below 3000rpm there is no low end loss with CMS Stage II N/A cams. Where do some of you people get your information? :eek:

·
Registered
593 Posts
My street car spends 99% of it's time below 3000 rpm. So I'm getting my information from your dyno graph. Nice top end gains though.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
My street car spends 99% of it's time below 3000 rpm. So I'm getting my information from your dyno graph. Nice top end gains though.
Then stock cams are the best for you. Stay slow and get the **** outta the way. :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts