Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 99 gt and wanted to go with some stage two cams or so but I'm not sure I want a good lope and I was wondering how much it'd cost for the cams, other things I'll need, labor and tuning and is it worth it

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
you can get some cams that don't require new valve springs. that will keep the labor down around 400-500 bucks. and the cams will be about 600. then tuning will be about 300 for a dyno tune

depends on what you want really but hitech stage 2's or cms stage 1's should work nicely if you wanna keep factory valve springs

·
Registered
678 Posts
I've got a 99 gt and wanted to go with some stage two cams or so but I'm not sure I want a good lope and I was wondering how much it'd cost for the cams, other things I'll need, labor and tuning and is it worth it
First of all "stage 2" means nothing when comparing cams, or any other parts for that matter. Comp's stage 2 cams have very different specs from VT/CMS stage 2's which have very different specs from Crower stage 2's and so on. "Stage 2" cams from most companies will require valve reliefs to be installed properly. With that said I would suggest talking to Nick at Modular Headshop. He can guide you the right set of cams to work with what you already have.

As far as cost, if you aren't installing them yourself you had better to ready to lay out some cash, especially if you are doing valve springs. With parts, labor, and tuning you could easily have $1500 to $2000 in the project.

·
Jackpot, fishypoopypants!
1,986 Posts
First of all "stage 2" means nothing when comparing cams, or any other parts for that matter. Comp's stage 2 cams have very different specs from VT/CMS stage 2's which have very different specs from Crower stage 2's and so on. "Stage 2" cams from most companies will require valve reliefs to be installed properly. With that said I would suggest talking to Nick at Modular Headshop. He can guide you the right set of cams to work with what you already have.

As far as cost, if you aren't installing them yourself you had better to ready to lay out some cash, especially if you are doing valve springs. With parts, labor, and tuning you could easily have $1500 to $2000 in the project.
My Comp 270's and springs cost $1400 to have installed, plus $600 for the cams and springs. :eek:

·
Sex Panther, by Odeon
633 Posts
My Comp 270's and springs cost $1400 to have installed, plus $600 for the cams and springs. :eek:
You got robbed......$1,000 is at the high end or most shops on labor for a cam and spring install. You did however get an ok deal on the cams with springs.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have about $1500 in to my 270's. I paid $450 for the cams and springs used and paid a little less than $300 for the Cloyes cam gears I think.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'd stay clear of the AFM cams way too mild if you are looking for a good lope(no loss of low end torque but gained 50 rwhp though with my cams, still sounds pretty much stock)..i just had a set of some f42 cams installed last month...didn't have to swap my springs and cost me 600 bucks to get them installed am here in massachusetts.....

If i could can get a do over i'd probably get some MHS cams instead.

just my 2 pennies

1 - 9 of 9 Posts