Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im getting around to changing mine out today due to the horrible noise it makes intermittenly I read my manual and it seems pretty easy and straight forward to do has anybody done it and how bad was it also is the specialty tool necessary for installation or is there another way

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well got it all ready and set to tdc and now it wont go in all the way no matter what way I turn it what should my next move be

·
Registered
560 Posts
How did your install turn out on this? I have the same issue and gotta replace my cam synchro tomorrow...any tips or tricks, suggestions you wanna throw my way chief? Freaking 200 bucks from ford ugh..

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its not hard to do just make sure you set to tdc before you even start taking anything out the most annoying part is just moving the egr and all the stuff around it to get to it if you have any issues let me know id be glad to help

·
V6 BIOTCH
6,945 Posts
your eye balls are all you need now, its its in perfect TDC, and you match square shaft into the oil pump, then it will slide down. Hopefully you dabbed some oil on the gears, now put it in, wiggle a little, and the teeth should slide together. make sure the notch is in the middle of the gap (if your in tdc it will be ...)

TDC can be marked look at the cps, looking into the spark plug hole, and the hb has an indicator to line up with the stamp on the block.

·
Registered
560 Posts
So in theory.. wouldnt I be able to just take the old syncro out and put the new one in without having to worry about lining everything up at TDC as long as the new one is in the EXACT same spot as the old one?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
um yeah i guess in theory but its way easier to put it to tdc pull it put the alignment cap thing on the new one slide it in and be done instead of trying to do it that way it would be way easier to have it be off

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
Re-vive! How did you remove the intermidiate oil stem from the bottom of the cam synchro? I've got my engine apart for the re-build and I'm replacing the synchro (old one is out and just turning it it squeals like hell, POS). I just can't figure how the stem comes off the bottom because that's the only part you have to re-use.

Ideas?

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
Got it shortly after posting here. Now I just can't get the thing to line up exactly how the stocker was.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just replaced mine and did a quick write up. 1. remove EGR along with the mounting bracket. The tube running down to the exhaust can stay in place. There are only 3 bolts (8mm) holding this bracket on. There is one vacuum line on top of the EGR valve to remove.

2. The cam positioner sensor has 2 bolts (5mm ?) holding it on along with a connector. Remove these to pull the black sensor off.

3. The top of the synchronizer now has to be lined up, Turn the crankshaft bolt using a breaker bar and socket untill the piece in the middle of the synchronizer lines up with the the open slot on the outside edge. Install the plastic tool that came with the new CPS.

4. Take out the 10mm bolt and large washer holding down the CPS. Pull up on the CPS, it will rotate slightly due to the gear at the bottom.

5. The oil pump shaft must be removed from the old CPS. I put the the shaft in my vice and hit the gear with a hammer to release the C-clip that holds the shaft in.

6. Push the oil pump drive shaft into the new CPS until it locks. It will have some play in and out.

7. Install the alignment tool on the CPS. It only fits one way, you may have to spin the gear so it seats fully.

8. Install the CPS in the motor. As long as the old one was removed WITH the tool installed, it does NOT matter where the arrow is pointing. The tool aligns the switch to TDC before you removed it. Mine went back in over 90* different, but fired up and ran fine.

9. Remove alignment tool and install the cam position sensor.

10. Reinstall the other parts in reverse order. Rinse and repaet.

Will add pics once I find the camera. Hope this helps someone.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
See I didn't have the tool on the stock one when I removed it. I have cylinder 1 at TDC (easy to tell with the heads off) ... and I'm maybe 1/4 to a 1/2 inch off from where the stock sensor was positioned. I don't know if that's gonna make a difference or not...haven't put it back together yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts