Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m way off from doing this upgrade and I’ve got other upgrades to do before this but I’ve been thinking about it quite a bit lately and just need more info on the subject. I’ve always wanted to add a supercharger to my mustang and I do eventually plan on doing that, but I want to build up my engine first. One of the questions I’ve been asking myself and had several conversations with myself (yes I am one of those people) is what camshaft I should put in. However, first a little background:

I own a 2000 Mustang GT convertible 5-speed manual and I’ve done a few simple mods already which include a CAI, 4:10 gears, aluminum driveshaft, 31-spline moser axles, cobra T-LOK LSD, and a professional products typhoon intake manifold. I’m about to do an upgrade to my exhaust, suspension, and internals. I’m going to be installing hooker long tubes, probably have a fabricated mid pipe and some Bassani cat-backs. For the suspension: lowering springs and some shocks & struts. And also going to forged internals with manley forged pistons and H beams. I’m looking between 10.0 and 10.5:1 compression (keeping the stock crank).

No, these upgrades don’t exactly have anything in common with each other, but I just decided that’s what I want to do right now. Also, yes I know higher compression can hurt a FI setup, but I’m never planning on putting down huge amounts of boost (20+psi). I also plan to upgrade my fuel system before I drop in a supercharger, but I’m not doing that right now. When I add the S/C I’m planning on putting down 15psi and adding cams at the same time. I thought, “Hey, since I’m putting cams in at the same time that I’m putting a S/C in I might as well put in blower cams”. I’d like to complement the rest of my upgrades the best I can so I was looking at some of the articles on my intake manifold and they’ve used Anderson Ford Motorsport cams and said they worked well. So I took a look at them and liked what I saw (keep in mind I know very little about detailed cam specifications).

This is my daily driver (well… half the year it is, I don’t drive it in the winter) but I’m never in stop and go traffic and I don’t drive long distances to go to work. I don’t want to hurt my overall performance by getting the wrong camshafts. I’d like cams that allow me to take advantage of the additional power potential of my intake, which is between 6200 -6700 RPMs, but I don’t want so rough of an idle it really hurts my low end (don’t get me wrong I love rough idle, but streetable rough idle). I know there are plenty of complaints about my intake manifold but so far I’m really not dissatisfied with the intake at all and it works quite well (in terms of what a manifold is supposed to do and reliability) and it can make okay numbers with the right mods – particularly cams.

So really I’d just like people’s opinions about this. Are going with these cams a bad idea (I’ve had plenty of bad ideas before:)), does anyone have any particular model numbers that they would suggest, should I always be looking for a range of particular specs on the cams, Etc? Also I was originally looking at getting comp cams as they seem like one of the best manufacturers, but I just don’t know enough about them to know if they would be good with all the mods I’m planning on doing (in particular the S/C).

Thanks

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
personally if i knew that for sure i was going to throw a supercharger on it i would find some blower cams (someone else can chime in as far as brand) but the most i can say is i was drawn to hi tech stage 2s judging by some peoples reviews/videos.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
MPH (Mr. Norms Garage) blower grinds is what you want. Call Tim Barth at 815-636-2784 to order a set. Great driveability, no low end loss, and they scream up top. Typical gains are 65-80rwhp at 10psi on a centri blower car.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
You probably should plan on having your heads ported while you're building the shortblock. I think our stock heads are a major restriction whether n/a or FI.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
MPH cams are the only cams that have made 600rwhp on stock heads.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alright cool, I'll start looking into those. Again, I'm not going to do this for awhile but it's definitely good to start looking and thinking about it, thanks for the info. Also, I understand that heads are pretty restrictive on my stang and it's something I've wanted to upgrade, it just hasn't been at the top of my list (even though it probably should be). Thanks again.

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
I just ordered a set of stage 1 cams from MHS. The difference between a stage 1 and 2 is minimal. The gains over stock cams is huge in comparison. Stage 1 will give the most low end for a street car. You can run stage 2 maybe even 3s depending on the one you go with and still have good street manners but your power band will be higher in the rpm range. Also once you get to stage 2 cams and up PTV clearance comes into play.

·
Wiser by the Minute
1,498 Posts
MPH (Mr. Norms Garage) blower grinds is what you want. Call Tim Barth at 815-636-2784 to order a set. Great driveability, no low end loss, and they scream up top. Typical gains are 65-80rwhp at 10psi on a centri blower car.
Tim is a great guy! He tuned my car. Very professional

1 - 8 of 8 Posts