Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Carving corners
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I have been trying to narrow down whats been causing my shifter and clutch pedal vibrations.

I replaced motor mounts with solid mounts and stock transmission mount. I have a double hook quadrant with the cable attached to the hook closest to its rotation point. I have a firewall adjuster and a adjustable cable. I also have a spec stage 2 clutch with a new TOB from ford. My AL drive-shaft probably has 15K miles on it. My Tri-Ax shifter progressively rattles cooperatively with my RPMs but once i get to around 4k RPMs it gradually goes away.

could this be my pilot bearing? clutch? resurfaced flywheel? or shifter?

HELP! im going crazy

·
Carving corners
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also I have played with the cable from one extreme to the other and it still causes the clutch pedal to vibrate, currently i have a steeda clutch pedal adjuster to keep it in place because if you rest your foot on it it stops vibrating. But I just want to do it the right way.

Thanks!

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
a bad pilot bearing can casue vibrations from what i have seen, wiht my tri axe i have noticed more tranny noise since i put it in

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts
Yes. Definitely. With the car running, lift it up and open the cover to look in at the input shaft. It's probably wobbling all over causing the clutch fork to rattle and rattle the pedal as a result. Change the pilot bearing out and see if it cures the input shaft gyration. This could be a bad input shaft too. I just discovered this same issue myself. I gave up on the tranny and got a new one though.

·
Hardcore Enthusiast
1,578 Posts
Pilot bearing can definitly be the casue of vibrations if they are in bad enough shape.

·
Carving corners
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks I'm hoping that's what it is its been months of me tracking it down. also if it ends up being the pilot bearing I would like to replace my flywheel with an aluminum one would I have to break in the clutch again to the new surface?

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Most clutch pedal vibrations are going to be a from a TOB though. Pilot bearings don't blow out nearly as often as TOBs... If the Pilot bearing was that bad you more than likely hear a constant chirping with the car running, whether the cutch is being engaged or not.

·
5,502 Posts
Most clutch pedal vibrations are going to be a from a TOB though. Pilot bearings don't blow out nearly as often as TOBs... If the Pilot bearing was that bad you more than likely hear a constant chirping with the car running, whether the cutch is being engaged or not.
Not necessarily a chirping noise, mine was making a noise slightly more like a pinging metal noise. But yes, they don't go as often. If it GOES, you'll know right away, it's a noise you'll never forget. A busted pilot bearing is indicative of further issues that need to be addressed, definitely, and likely sooner rather than later.

·
Carving corners
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^ I know that's why I dumped it for the OEM TOB.

This was also occurring on my previous engine, I blew it up and bought another motor with 35K miles out of an auto. I had a small shop do it for me a couple of years ago and im wondering if they reused my old pilot bearing. I never noticed because i had it installed in the summer and I always drive with the windows down didnt notice the rattling right away

If not my pilot bearing than im guessing my tranny is fudged

·
5,502 Posts
My input shaft was ****ed. I was getting vibration in my pedal like crazy and it was eating TOBs like they were candy. Tranny itself may not be gone, if it's just the pilot bearing, it may be nothing, if it's the input shaft, if caught in time before it twists itself out the internals are still ok. Mine had little pieces of metal shavings all inside the tranny. That's usually a sign something is no bueno.

·
Carving corners
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My input shaft was ****ed. I was getting vibration in my pedal like crazy and it was eating TOBs like they were candy. Tranny itself may not be gone, if it's just the pilot bearing, it may be nothing, if it's the input shaft, if caught in time before it twists itself out the internals are still ok. Mine had little pieces of metal shavings all inside the tranny. That's usually a sign something is no bueno.
Well I hope for the best if not than I will be looking for a T56. I'm going to pull the inspection cover tomorrow and check it out.

·
5,502 Posts
I spent my shortblock money on mine. :(
Can't wait to get it in though! :)

Plus, now I will never worry about having too much power for the tranny to handle. The engine will be the weakest link. Time to start saving for my shortblock again...

·
Carving corners
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I spent my shortblock money on mine. :(
Can't wait to get it in though! :)

Plus, now I will never worry about having too much power for the tranny to handle. The engine will be the weakest link. Time to start saving for my shortblock again...
things never go as planned. The other thing I love about the T56 (Cobra spec) is it has similar ratios and 5th gear on the T56 fills the gap between 4th and 5th(OD) on the 3650.

·
Carving corners
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well i checked it out with the engine at idle the fork moves around maybe a 1/16 of an inch in either direction. Then I shut it off and just push it to the side and it has a ton of play, I've attached a video. Im wondering now if its a bad fork? I wont be able to pull the transmission out for another couple of weeks ...:mad:

I'm guessing it just might be the fork because it been like this for about a year, but I also haven't been driving the car until more recently.

Also the throw out bearing seems to be just touching the diaphragm fingers, I cant remember if this is the preferred position of the TOB.

anyway heres the vidoe

·
5,502 Posts
I felt like I was watching the Bourne Identity...

The TOB is fine, but the clutch fork movement is going to cause vibrations obviously. I'd replace the fork and the pilot bearing just in case that's been worn down by the extra movement. Sorry you've been having so much trouble. Hope this cures it.

·
Carving corners
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I felt like I was watching the Bourne Identity...

The TOB is fine, but the clutch fork movement is going to cause vibrations obviously. I'd replace the fork and the pilot bearing just in case that's been worn down by the extra movement. Sorry you've been having so much trouble. Hope this cures it.
lol I guess I'll have to watch the movie to get the reference.

Im planning on it, I think im going to throw a Fidanza AL flywheel on while im in there.

Hopefully I will finally get to the bottom of this. :crazy

Thanks for your help

·
5,502 Posts
lol I guess I'll have to watch the movie to get the reference.

Im planning on it, I think im going to throw a Fidanza AL flywheel on while im in there.

Hopefully I will finally get to the bottom of this. :crazy

Thanks for your help
Shaky camera work. The movie looks like it was filmed during an earthquake.

If this is your DD and you hit traffic a lot, I'm not sure an AL flywheel is a great idea... Otherwise, enjoy the hell out of the lighter piece.

I got sick of my clutch/fork/TOB/tranny issues and just replaced the whole thing (or will be replacing it as soon as my tranny comes in the mail). You've replaced the clutch and TOB, now replace the flywheel, pilot bearing and fork. If it's none of the above, good luck.

Either way, I hope it all turns out well!

·
Registered
258 Posts
OP, when you're taking off from a stop in first gear, do the vibrations come about? does the clutch just kind of dump in first gear when you're trying to slip it? when you try to slip it, does it vibrate?

i have, i think, the same exact problem you have. very vibrationy clutch pedal and very sloppy engagements in gear when i try to slip it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts