Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I Have A FLATULENT Butthole.
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, can the TOB make a "scratch" type of noise rather than a squeak? I've been getting this scratch noise that is sometime there and sometimes not, and goes away as soon as any pressure is put on the clutch pedal. It's getting worse and annoying the **** out of me.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I haven't heard it personally, but I suspect it can. Do you have an OEM TOB or aftermarket? Also, on your last clutch swap, did you replace the TOB, Clutch Fork and Pivot Stud? I would HIGHLY recommend if it you have haven't. I installed a new clutch, used the aftermarket TOB that started squealing within a few thousand miles. I removed the tranny, and the TOB was gritty to turn. The new clutch fork and pivot stud only cost me $50 bucks from Ford and I haven't had a problem in 2 years.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Like a spinning metal on metal noise?

·
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't heard it personally, but I suspect it can. Do you have an OEM TOB or aftermarket? Also, on your last clutch swap, did you replace the TOB, Clutch Fork and Pivot Stud? I would HIGHLY recommend if it you have haven't. I installed a new clutch, used the aftermarket TOB that started squealing within a few thousand miles. I removed the tranny, and the TOB was gritty to turn. The new clutch fork and pivot stud only cost me $50 bucks from Ford and I haven't had a problem in 2 years.
Bought the car at 85k miles... don't know if it was ever replaced. I haven't personally though.

·
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Bought the car at 85k miles... don't know if it was ever replaced. I haven't personally though.
You purchased at 85k, where are you now in mileage? I purchased mine at 112k and it had never had a clutch replaced... less than a month later it was done, actually the TOB failed before the clutch. It started squealing just a bit, then one day, the noise that was there went from almost nothing to a terrible squeal that made me shutdown. If you've never put a new clutch in, I would start planning that.

·
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You purchased at 85k, where are you now in mileage? I purchased mine at 112k and it had never had a clutch replaced... less than a month later it was done, actually the TOB failed before the clutch. It started squealing just a bit, then one day, the noise that was there went from almost nothing to a terrible squeal that made me shutdown. If you've never put a new clutch in, I would start planning that.
At about 95.7k right now. Planning to replace it next spring. Not in the budget right now with moving in a few weeks and a baby coming in march!

Just hoping it makes it until then.. still grabs plenty hard with no slipping or anything...

·
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is safe to squirt on it? Just to get it to stfu for now.

·
C6Z's & ZL1's are afraid
3,444 Posts
i bought my 00 GT w/ bout 77k on it and around the same mileage i think i started to hear my TOB start to go out.... sounded like metal rubbing against metal, wasn't super loud but made me wonder wtf it was. it would do it when touching the clutch pedal and after awhile it would go away. then there was a small amount of time where the rubbing sound went away for a few weeks and came back.... eventually after a few months the TOB was shot to hell. super super loud squealing and squeaking going to work on the freeway one day lol and the clutch pedal felt like i was stepping on crunchy cereal or something.

you may be fine for a bit, but i'd just go ahead and replace the clutch, TOB and Pilot bearing to be safe

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
My "noise" goes away after it warms up a bit. My car has 100k miles, I plan to upgrade anyway.

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
you can't damage anything running on a squealing tob?
mine makes noise sometimes, usually it will warm up and lessen, sometimes none, sometimes more. :dunno I have a new clutch ready to go when the time comes :dunno

·
Registered
257 Posts
probobal something is just rusty and out of grease in there. before i did my clutch the tob was squeeking bad. After i took it apart everything was corroded and out of grease. cleaned it and greased it and put in a clutch kit and all is good

1 - 12 of 12 Posts