Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dumbass was going to take off the top plate just to take a look inside. Wanted to see inside of it before I put it in just to make sure nothing seemed odd because I have never ran it. Well, what I didn't know was the top plate didn't just pop off then back on. I can not get it to go back to its original place. Can anyone tell me how this thing come on and off?

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
lol, probably broke something

if I remember right you have to pull out the shifter linkage to pull the plate, then the reverse.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How does the shifter linkage come out? I didn't get it all the way off. I unbolted it then when I tried pulling it up it wouldn't budge, I slide it to the rear, and it slide, but with other stuff that was attached. I tried sliding back but it wouldn't go all the way back were it was. I dont think I broke anything, didn't get ruff with it or anything. Just found out I didn't know what I was doing so I just stoped..lol... when I had my little ranger the trans had a plate on top and it just bolted off and you could look inside. I thiought this one would be same way but I was wrong. I just wanted to lood inside to check it out. I bought the car in peices, the trans was out. It didn't have a drop of fluid in it and just wanted to see if there was any damage, or if they just might of drained it.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
Ok, first, take your shifter off. Next, drive the roll pin out that holds the part the shifter goes into. Don't try to remove it yet. Take all the tailshaft housing bolts out, pry it loose from the case. Remove the housing, shifter lug, spring, detent ball, and roll pin out as one assembly. The lug will pop off so hold it with your thumb to keep it from shooting out and losing pieces. Next, the shift cover slides off to one side and then off. Clean all the silicone off of everything with a razor blade, then clean with brake clean and then apply silicone to the top of the trans case. Make sure the shift forks, shift rail and shaft are all lined up and the roll pin hole is straight up and down, then place the cover opposite of the 5th reverse lever and then slide it towards it. run the two shouldered bolts into the cover first, then the rest. These are very small so don't torque them down more than 3 to 5 ft lbs of torque. I just snug them. Next, silicone the tailshaft housing and slide it down over the shaft, but leave about 1/2" gap so you can position the detent ball into the rear center indentation. Hold it in there with white lithium grease so it won't fall out. Remember to make sure the roll pin is out of the shift lug before you install it with the spring up into the hole, and place that over the detent ball, then slide the whole tailshaft assembly down while sliding the lug over the shaft. Then line up the hole in the shaft with the hole in the lug with a punch, then drive the roll pin in. then install and tighten all the tailshaft housing bolts. Should have left it alone or gone to a competent trans rebuilder to get it checked out. Hope you didn't break anything on it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, transmision shop on monday it is! I had no Idea that that plate would require all of that!

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
I build 5 or more T5's a month, and about every 6 months I get one a guy wanted to see what it looked like. Hopefully yours has nothing damaged, as long as you didn't pry or force anything you should be ok. I had one guy take a hacksaw to the shaft, he showed that who was boss! lol, I got a sale out of it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol...no hacksaws or hamers nothing like that. I just taped it with the palm of my hand. Thanks for the info. Question for you sense you seen to be knowledgable. I am needing a crossmember also. I have 95gt what other crossmembers will work? auto sn95, v-6 sn95, or fox work? I looked at one today at the local pull a part, it was auto v-6 and it looked the same.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
V6 should be the same, fox is completely different. I believe the auto sn's are also the same. We did a swap from auto to manual for a guy and reused his auto crossmember if memory serves me correctly. Good luck with it, one day you'll look back on this and laugh, but only after consuming enough beer.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea probably so. Atleast I am finally getting close. I bought a roller that came with a truck load of parts. Just trying to peice the puzzle back together. Haven't really done any type of work on cars since I had a fox little over ten years ago. Damn, it sounds crazy saying over ten years..I'm getting old...lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts